Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Can I use THIS to power up my Cox Stuka?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Can I use THIS to power up my Cox Stuka?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mtrain.

Have you looked in at Cox Canada?

http://coxengines.ca/

Their catalog and other features on their site may let you find pieces that should fit exactly what you need, and their prices may be better than the item on the auction site...

Service is quick and reasonable (they may make a few Canadian cents on the exchange rates, but it's still reasonable by our standards.)

In my experience with Cox reedies, a little O-ring that seals the air intake to the backplate can be a problem, too.

A stuck or gummed reed valve? Often cleans up in fuel, as mentioned. A bent or damaged reed will not sort itself out. Cox.ca's catalog has many replacement parts for - probably - almost all Cox .049 reed engines, and they are listed pretty clearly. A little time looking through the catalog should help.

I was shocked by the prices now asked for rare and special Cox engines, but the main items are still reasonable. Prices reflect the rarity of the high-dollar units. Cox.ca does not manufacture engines of those types, which leaves a dwindling supply of engines and pieces for them. Cox USA production ended many years ago; it is great that the good people at Cox.ca are there for us.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 PM
mtrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gene6029
Yes you can, but it will not fit in your Stuka with that tank. When you swapped parts around from engine to engine, did you transfer the gasket that goes between the engine and back plate? Its important that it be there and not torn or leaking.....Gene
Yes.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:11 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now. What were the results?

Standing by to hear results.

I got out Sat with a club buddy with his RingMaster and a Yak CL plane. Perfect weather, around 50% with just occasional minor gusts. Just enough to keep you from getting lazy.

I just picked up a brand-new-in-the-box Cox Chipmunk, yesterday. Found it on craigslist. It's getting bad when you inquire about a craigslist ad and the guy says, oh, yeah, you're the guy that came a year ago and bought all those planes. I'm making friends, now - the gent told me he'll keep an eye out for other planes for me as he does his pickin'. Maybe it's time for a reality show, I can cash in on this obsession- ha!

Looking to fly theCMunk and the Hyper Viper this weekend, will get video and pics.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:21 AM
H5606

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Another source of information found recently that could possibly be beneficial in starting and running your Cox Stuka's engine courtesy of Cox International: http://coxengines.ca/files/049%20Surestart.pdf
Old 12-23-2016, 07:43 PM
mtrain

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
Ok, now. What were the results?

Standing by to hear results.

I got out Sat with a club buddy with his RingMaster and a Yak CL plane. Perfect weather, around 50% with just occasional minor gusts. Just enough to keep you from getting lazy.

I just picked up a brand-new-in-the-box Cox Chipmunk, yesterday. Found it on craigslist. It's getting bad when you inquire about a craigslist ad and the guy says, oh, yeah, you're the guy that came a year ago and bought all those planes. I'm making friends, now - the gent told me he'll keep an eye out for other planes for me as he does his pickin'. Maybe it's time for a reality show, I can cash in on this obsession- ha!

Looking to fly theCMunk and the Hyper Viper this weekend, will get video and pics.

Still hasn't started since that one time.

I did order this, as I figure the batteries being soldered/tapped together is probably my biggest problem.How long do D cell batteries usually last on trying to start these engines, approximately?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Plasti...AAAOSwo4pYTNK8
Old 12-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Well for one thing, you have to make sure the batteries are connected in parallel, NOT series. You need 1.5 volts. If you connect the batteries in series, you will be doubling the voltage and will blow your glow plug. Blow your plug and you are never going to get it started. A couple of D size batteries should last a season, used sparingly. Do you have the glow plug wrench where you can take it off easily and see if it is glowing bright orange? If it's not glowing, it might be blown. It will never start blown. The problem with that battery box is the way its wired is series. That's going to blow your plug. Re wire it so that it is in parallel.

Positive to positive, negative to negative is parallel.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:25 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrain;12289051

I did order this, as I figure the batteries being soldered/tapped together is probably my biggest problem.How long do D cell batteries usually last on trying to start these engines, approximately?

[URL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Plastic-2-x-1-5V-D-Size-Battery-Holder-Box-w-Two-Wires-N3-/122065107697?hash=item1c6ba5baf1:g:VhAAAOSwo4pYTNK 8[/URL]

Mtrain all the battery boxes you linked above will not work, all are series boxes doubling the voltage and this will cause ultimately premature failure of your glow plug regardless of the type D cell used or the glow plug rating of 1.5 or 2.0 volt.

This is for the reasons outlined by Tom Nied above. These type of boxes (the most common) are easily spotted because the springs (negative end of the battery) are always on the opposite ends of each other.

If you wish to use two D cells (that's fine) You must use a parallel wired box or simply solder the batteries directly in parallel (that's easy to do).
Old 12-24-2016, 06:38 PM
mtrain

Did you read the part where I said I got the engine running? Of course the batteries are in parallel.

I will wire the box so that its parallel as its got to be better than the duct tape, and soldering.

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Well for one thing, you have to make sure the batteries are connected in parallel, NOT series. You need 1.5 volts. If you connect the batteries in series, you will be doubling the voltage and will blow your glow plug. Blow your plug and you are never going to get it started. A couple of D size batteries should last a season, used sparingly. Do you have the glow plug wrench where you can take it off easily and see if it is glowing bright orange? If it's not glowing, it might be blown. It will never start blown. The problem with that battery box is the way its wired is series. That's going to blow your plug. Re wire it so that it is in parallel.

Positive to positive, negative to negative is parallel.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 PM
mtrain

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner

If you wish to use two D cells (that's fine) You must use a parallel wired box or simply solder the batteries directly in parallel (that's easy to do).
That is what I plan to do, thanks. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are welcome and my fingers are crossed, Who knows perhaps Santa will reward you with a great running engine tonight

John