Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery charger advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:58 PM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charger advice

I'm relatively new to electric RC...lots of glow experience.

Anyway, I have a couple of 1S micro models and I'm using a Hitec X4 micro multi charger and its been great!
But I also have some E-Flight and Blade models that use 3S batteries and I'm looking into larger planes and helis that run 6S.

The chargers that come with the Blade and E-Flight models do the job....but they're really slow.

I need help, I'd like to be able to charge larger batteries without it taking an hour.

Also, is there a standard charge lead for multiple battery sizes and models, or do all of the manufacturers use their own plugs?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the Hitec you can look at their other chargers for your 3 cell and 6 cell packs.

Here is a single port charger:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/hitec-x1...arger-hrc44241
Here vis a dual port charger :
http://www.horizonhobby.com/x2-ac-pl...put-p-hrc44232

Either of these will get your larger packs charged and balanced in an hour or so.

The charge leads you typically buy separately already made with different battery ends like EC3 , Deans, etc... or they will give you banana jack leads and you solder on the battery end you want. Your Blade batteries should have the blue EC3 connectors so you will need some banana jack to EC3 charge leads.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/charge-a...evice-dync0072
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 PM
270win

Great! thanks for the help. So to do a lot of back to back flights I really need to invest in more battery packs. Most of my flying field time will be after work so the time is somewhat limited. An hour or two might be all the time I have on most days.

Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:55 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can never have too many battery packs !
Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 PM
270win

Got it, like always having fuel for a glow pilot.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Heat is the enemy of LiPo caused by the current (Amps) passing through the batteries internal resistance.
You cant do much about the heat generated at discharge as you tend need the current to achieve the power to fly but you can control how much heat is created during charging.
As a general rule a 1 hour charge rate (1C) should keep the heat generated under control but the faster you charge above this the more harm you will do to your battery.
"More flights in any one session means more batteries".