Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

8V Propane Glow plugs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

8V Propane Glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 8V Propane Glow plugs?

Ok, So I was having issues with my Merlin 160 MK2 propane start, found a good used ECU and I'm cooking again. I burnt up 2 of my glow plugs until I figured out the last owner had the voltage at 8v, I found a little info on here about a true propane 8v glow plug, but cant find any for sale.....

This motor will not start with the electric propane valve in place, I have to buy pass it with a Festso one way ball valve and directly feed the propane in during starting. Not a huge fan of this as its not like my AMT motors that tell you when to stop adding propane. I have tried 2 electric valve with no luck. Maybe my issue is the glow plug.

So anyone got any info on this glow plug?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:16 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I've never heard of an 8v glow plug. DreamWorks sells or used to sell a plug that had a bigger element, I had a couple and I want to say they were a solid piece where the element was but I dont remember. I bought them hoping I'd stop blowing plugs on my Olympus with a fresh charged 4s lipo but they still blew and that was set for 2.7 volts. The fresh charged lipo I guess was giving more than that.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this used ECU a Xicoy? Sounds like it is configured for Kero start, that also accounts for why the propane valve does not work.
If it is a Xicoy go into the “Start” Menu and change to “Auto Gas” start and then check the glowplug voltage is between 1.5v and 2.0v. Test the plug to see what voltage needed to light bright enough.

You can download the Xicoy FADEC ECU users guide that has more info on standard Gas start settings to check.
- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 12-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM
dave.windymiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a Wren Power plug or similar your talking about they take 7 volts max. I have one in my homebuild engine / propane ign but it wasnt powered from the xicoy fadec as i had an old manual start version. I used a 5 cell nimh.

They look similar to those in a kero start burner?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1581.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	2263027

Quote from email from Wren back in 2012 ..
"I notice that you have a manual start engine – is the power plug for this engine? The Wren mini power plug works on 7 volts & no more. If you wish to use this on the manual start engine you will need a separate battery for the plug to prevent “blowing” it."

Last edited by dave.windymiller; 12-18-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well......?
Did we help with a solution or no?...... I “gots ta know”.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:15 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know understand there was a propane/ceramic plug. But I can't find any for sale, so I just got an extra 2 glow plugs in my box and will call it a day.

Thanks everyone