Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Helicopter spins around instantly

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Helicopter spins around instantly

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 05:43 PM
nighttowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter spins around instantly

I have a blade 200 SR X, and a while back I crashed it. I flew it into the ground at about 3+ feet.

It broke one of the blades and the tail propeller as well. No other damage.

I bought all the parts for it, but I could not get it to fly smoothly afterwards.

I shelved it for a couple years, but recently my son has shown interest in it so last weekend I pulled out all the stuff for it.

I bought a new battery for it, and we (I) tried to trim flight it but it was still difficult to control.

I recharged the battery because it was getting low on charge, and the very next time I flew it I could smell the tail motor burning up so I went and bought a new tail motor at the local hobby shop.

Once I replaced the motor and tried to fly it, the tail motor didn’t spin at low throttle when taking off as expected, and then when I move the throttle up more the tail motor goes to full speed instantly and then the helicopter spins around wildly. It had never done that before.

Any idea why it will not stay in one place or why it spins wildly after replacing the tail motor?

The tail motor was the exact same part number.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I made a video showing the issue but I cannot post it.
if you search you tube for " helicopter issue" it will most likely pop up.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:20 PM
JPEE

Hello Jeff aka nightowl,

I watched your video and see the nature of your problem. This can be caused by two different issues, the first being the Gyro on the circuitboard got damaged in the crash and is non-functional and that it’s not holding the tail where it supposed to be. Two, my friend made this mistake last week on a 230 size horizon hobby helicopter and when he put the new tail rotor on he put it on backwards. On the blade 230 the tail rotor goes on either way!!! so he had put it on with the veins on the tail rotor backwards and so his helicopter would spin. The whole idea of the tail rotor is to stabilize The tail so it does not follow the main rotor blades direction in the same direction that is. So I would look at your book or better yet the picture on your handbook I saw on the video and look very closely at the detail on the tail rotor blade. One side of each blade has kind of a flat side and the other edge side is kind of rounded a slight ark to it. See if that looks like what you see in your picture. Use ads on the RC sales photos from the RC store too. The other thing you can do is just take it off, and flip over and screw down and see if it will get stable because it’s not gospel but I’m telling you at least on a 230 it is!! and see if you can reverse it flip it over and put it back on and see what it does. Let me know.

also check your transmitter and make sure your sliders are all in a neutral spot.
JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 08-26-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:39 PM
nighttowl

im using the LP6DSM transmitter that it came with.
I checked pictures on-line, it was on backward but did not make a difference.
Is the gyro is in the reciever?

It has an AR636H reciever in it.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:23 PM
JPEE

Nighttowl,

I went back and saw the video frames with your transmitter, but thanks for sharing that info. I assume you checked all of the transmitter sliders and they are all centered? In any case if they are centered then on the rudder side, left stick try moving the slider one way and spin up the main blades and see if it increases the spinning or slows it down and then slide it to the other way and see if that has any impact on the issue. I am familiar with the combination receiver and gyro, we have the same thing on our little 230s as well, that’s and $80 piece as I recall. I am not sure at this moment whether the Gyro is in the receiver or part of the ESC below the receiver at least on the 230. I have an extra unit I’ll look at tomorrow but I got as a spare and take a look at that and see what I can do note. Also because I’ve been flying 3-D I’ve had a few accidents and as you’ll see in the photos I run my wires outside the boom so it’s a much easier fix. Take a look at your connections please. I am not sure at this moment whether the Gyro is in the receiver or part of the ESC below the receiver at least on the 230. I have an extra unit I’ll look at tomorrow but I got as a spare and take a look at that and see what I can do note. Also because I’ve been flying 3-D I’ve had a few accidents and as you’ll see in the photos I run my wires outside the boom so it’s a much easier fix. Take a look at your connections please

I went again back and reread your description of the crash and you replaced the tail motor....... could you have reversed those tail motor wires? That black, blue and red wires to cross by accident. Please check that out. Here is a photo to show the proper tail blade direction. I know you flipped and the issue is still there but I want to make sure in the end we are starting out with the right direction. I had to pull the snapshot out of a video so it’s dark but if you look at the curvature of each blade I’m sure you can match it up skillfully.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:42 PM
nighttowl

I figured it out...
the connector to join the receiver to the tail boom wiring can be put in either way, its not directional (although it should be).
the motor wiring was technically reversed due to this.

i flipped the connector 180 and it works!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:51 PM
JPEE

Nighttowl Things to check,

I have reviewed some more to 230 videos and I just noticed on this video the tail blade spins counterclockwise! Yours is spinning clockwise from what I am seeing? Check this video out, this might be in line with what I suggested that the tail motor wire got reversed.

JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 08-26-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:56 PM
JPEE

GREAT NEWS, in a way I was right with my last post when I said the tail was spinning backwards! Happy for you my friend!!!

JPEE
Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by nighttowl
i figured it out...
The connector to join the receiver to the tail boom wiring can be put in either way, its not directional (although it should be).
The motor wiring was technically reversed due to this.

I flipped the connector 180 and it works!

Great to hear, congrats!

JPEE