Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

Do I need a head gasket to operate my engine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Do I need a head gasket to operate my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:48 AM
LeagueOfChungus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a head gasket to operate my engine?

My engine is KE15SP. And I lost my head gasket. Should I buy it? If I should, Are any 15 scale engine's head gaskets suitable for my engine? I couldn't find any sites that sell it. (Im South Korean, I apologize if my grammer is bad.)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

are you referring to the aluminum/brass washer/shim type deal that goes between the cooling head and the block?
if so you are looking for part number 743033-03, i was able to find it on the kyosho website still available for sale, might be worth a shot.
you really don't "need" it, as long as the head, or head button (where the glow plug fits in) will seal to the block. it will increase your compression, also giving slightly more power, as long as it seals and doesnt give too much compression as more "RTR" type engines tolerances arent as tight, it should be fine without. if you hear pinging or pre-detonation it is too much.
hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Some engines need the head shim for proper head clearance. Some engines have negative head spacing without the shim which causes the piston to hit the head. Also to note - the shim isn’t there to seal the head; it’s there to provide clearance from the piston. So D3MON is right - it’s technically not necessary for some engines. I would measure the head clearance to see how much clearance there is (it any). If you have at least .4mm (.015”) head clearance or more, then run it without the shim. If you have less clearance than that, put the shim back in. You can cut your own shim from shim stock available from K&S Hobby if that is easier to get than the factory shim (which is usually too thick anyway).