YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 140 and up opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default YS 140 and up opinion

I’ve had smaller YS engines (.53, .70, .91) and have had good luck with them. Looking at getting bigger one. What is a good one Limited 140, 175, 185, or 200? So many choices. Should I do CDI version? For sport flying. I’ve only had gas planes lately and miss the big single glow engine smell and mess.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:17 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience there is a bit of a learning curve with the DZ (fuel injected) engines. They are just a bit different. NOT hard just different. I've never owned a CDI engine but have heard nothing but good about how the engine handels. More reliable idle, better fuel economy and increase in power. Many guys will cut back on nitro because of the increase in power.

Ken
Old 02-06-2020, 12:42 AM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenh3497
In my experience there is a bit of a learning curve with the DZ (fuel injected) engines. They are just a bit different. NOT hard just different. I've never owned a CDI engine but have heard nothing but good about how the engine handels. More reliable idle, better fuel economy and increase in power. Many guys will cut back on nitro because of the increase in power.

Ken
Ken
Thanks for information. I’m still debating. Leaning towards a CDI. This YS forum seems like it’s dead. It’s sad these are such great engines and there was a lot of information on here.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:09 PM
PineBaron
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have tons of YS engines although mostly YS140's which I use in all my 2M pattern planes and one 3D plane plus YS120 and YS90 in smaller pattern planes. My YS mentor Eric Henderson passed away however left a wealth of knowledge with me and I continue to use these amazing engines. I don't have a CDI version, never had a need for one.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:41 PM
ri504pr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the sound and power of the 120 and the 140L. Curently running in various sport aircraft. As stated above, information and parts are limted. What is best source for engines?

PineBaron, let me know if you are selling any of your engines.

-Rich
Old 12-23-2020, 03:25 PM
PineBaron

Originally Posted by ri504pr
Love the sound and power of the 120 and the 140L. Curently running in various sport aircraft. As stated above, information and parts are limted. What is best source for engines?

PineBaron, let me know if you are selling any of your engines.

-Rich
Hi Rich, I'm addicted to YS engines although have a Saito 180 on one of my scale planes. For flying with a slightly rich setting and resulting smoke trails, it's a pleasure to fly these engines, they look and sound elegant in the air. Over the years I collected a bunch of spares and a few new engines from folk either leaving the hobby or going electric. Sorry have none for sale; have jus about enough to keep me going.

Central Hobbies has a been source for spares however they seem to be completely out of engines except the FZ175, buy current models direct from YS or look for used engines which are selling at fairly high prices but its always risky. Are you looking for a specific engine?

Cheers,

Vim aka Pinebaron
Old 12-25-2020, 08:17 AM
ri504pr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vim,
Great to read your response! I was in the hobby 30 years ago and started back with glow last year. I joined a club called New Jersey Pine Barons. Great group with a beautiful field. Most of them fly ducted fan jets but as I run my four strokes, they are lovin the sound and the smell. The club president recently went back to glow! Anyhow, when getting back into the hobby, bought a used Ultimate Biplane that had a YS 120 in it. After understankding the pressured fuel system and fuel regulation system etc, I was hooked! After a few flights, was amazed at the power, perfomrance, and responsiveness.

When building up some inventory for spare parts, I met Richard (Verano??) from YS parts, but he told me he is retiring end of this year. Central Hobbies is out of stock on many items.

I am anxious to get the recently puchased 140DZ with header, tuned pipe, and Hyde mount into one of the recent model acquisitions. Recently flew my P51 with an FZ 140 (went with hard mount on this one). Fuel was leaking and engine cut out so currently rebuillding it. Witing on a couple more O-rings purchased on Ebay. BTW, I went to Grainger a puchased silcone O-rings (a few $'s fo 100 O-rings). Could not find metric sizes but will try again.

Currently reading all the forums here to learn more. Apologies for the long narrative but glad to connect online.

Blue skies and Happy Holidays
-Rich
Old 12-25-2020, 11:23 AM
PineBaron

Rich,
Merry Christmas!

Its a small world, NJ Pine Barons, Wow! my old club. Yes sir, way back in 1997, we moved into our new home in Marlton and I joined the NJ Pine Barons club when it was across the local regional airport on Haines Rd, then flew at the location where it is now. I had a blast at the old location since it was just five miles from home. Not sure how many club members remember me, we moved from NJ to WA just five years ago. I have just one 140DZ, the rest are Ls and I do love the Hyde mount although I think I have hard mounts on a couple of my planes.
Let's connect, send me a PM

Cheers,

Vim