Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 44 startup issue

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 44 startup issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 PM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wren 44 startup issue

Just had my Wren 44 back from servicing and after reinstalling it had a fuel pump issue .the propane did a light right off but the pump would not pump fuel. To solve that I removed the pump outlet line and put into a container , removed the pump power line from the ECU and added power to the pump . Voila , got the pump pumping fuel. Reinstalled everything and a perfect start.
thinking it may have been dry gears and some sort if an airlock in the line but once I got some fuel in the gears , no issue.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

Correct on the pump gears been dry and stock because of dryness, I would suggest to have the filter after the pump in case any debris gets loose from the pump, if you prefer not to use one, at least use it for the first hr or two .

I had situations before when I had not run an engine for long time, just to experience the pump having a hard time on the first run, after that, all was good.

Enjoy.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:44 AM
stegl

Using the stock Wren filter after the pump. Thanks . The newer version Xicoy v10 has the prime feature in the ECU menus I believe . Anyways all’s good .
Old 06-02-2020, 12:18 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

It does, I also suggests to clean the filter once a season or when an increase on PW at idle, that will be an indication of a restriction in the fuel lines, usually been a dirty fuel filter, this is the cleaner that I was recommended by one of my jet guru friends, it's plastic safe.

ps: write down the PW and temp numbers at idle and max rpms, very important to have those numbers to compare later.

Have fun
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
andrewjet
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I might have the same issue or at least a similar issue. I last flew my Savex Wren 44 power jet 14 years ago but on a landing it cartwheeled so I just repaired the wing tips and parked her up until three weeks ago. I went through her replacing all of the lines as well as reinstalling everything and three weeks ago took her to the field and she fired right up on the first try. I did at least a couple of days of ground work to get brakes and steering working to my satisfaction however last week doing more runway test for brakes she flamed out so I figured it was just out of fuel however she still had at least 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank as well as I'm using a UAT tank too. I figured it might be filter clogged so I unbolted her and made sure the filter was clean replace the fod screen and she just would not ignite. I went back and rechecked again and she still will not ignite. She just times out after making four or five attempts. I've checked the plug and pulled out the element just a tab to make sure as well as running the pump in both directions on 7.2v. It seems to be running however I was going to try again tomorrow if possible however I'm not sure if she will ignite. I read a few threads on possibly taking a log lighter to the exhaust during startup is she does not start and she should start during that process which will let me know if she has a glow issue however I've tested her with my single cell glow plug starters and she lights right up. Also, one more note, my engine only had one flight on her so the engine is still basically brand new basically. Any thoughts? Sorry about the long and dragged on response however I wanted to add every little detail.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 PM
stegl

Better to be over detailed than under. If a glow driver on the glow plug makes it start up then it could be the
glow power voltage from the ECU being low . You should be able to pull the glow plug and do a glow plug test with the ECU/GSU.
Don't forget to ground the threaded part of the glow plug.. I believe the ECU glow setting to be about 32 but
that should be available on the wren forum.. Another question ; is this the pleated paper UAT filter style ? If so mine crumbled
and I had to replace it .
Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 PM
andrewjet

Well I normally just put it back in the engine and here's a picture of the plane

Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM
stegl

Looks like it is a Hanson air trap ( my guess) and if the pleated paper filter was sitting in fuel that long could need replacing but would
from your explanation and start symptoms, my first guess would be glow plug.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 AM
andrewjet

Originally Posted by stegl
Looks like it is a Hanson air trap ( my guess) and if the pleated paper filter was sitting in fuel that long could need replacing but would
from your explanation and start symptoms, my first guess would be glow plug.
All of my plumbing and filters (Trap included) parts are all new and replaced. I moved the spring on the plug out a little last night and hoping that this will work for me testing today or tomorrow if I can get my work done in time.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:07 PM
andrewjet

Hey Guys,

So I've tested the pump and it works as well as the glow plug and it appears to be working however I noticed on my ECU display I can't and have never (to my knowledge) have never gotten to the info screen. I have tried this with the trim down as well as hitting the up arrow twice quickly such as requested on the Wren 54 process to prime the pump. In any case I can seem to get to any kind of diagnostic screen such as described in some manuals. I can't remember what ever happened to my original manual so I was going off version the latest propane manual. Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 AM
RBallard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sent you a pm
Old 07-07-2020, 03:01 PM
stegl

I would highly suggest maybe contacting Turbine Solutions in the UK as they have taken over Wren Power Systems
and will be producing and maintaining Wren turbines and service.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:43 PM
andrewjet

So I finally got around to pulling out the engine and all components and after replacing the plug she still would not start so during the start sequence I removed the glow connector and quickly put on my glow engine igniter which immediately fired the engine up and ran however she did flame out due to possibly a lot of propane on start due to trying everything prior to getting to this point. I waited for the engine to cool down and tried again, this time I move the propane adjustment valve from completely off (Counter clock wise hoping that this is the off position) to slightly on with the same sequence after she would not start with the original glow plug on, however once again I removed the glow plug connector and added my handheld glow plug starter and she fired right up however she flamed out again. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the ECU maybe I can just purchase a new one without sending the entire turbine in? I did get around to speaking to Paul at Turbine Solutions who told be not to send it in due to he was sure that it was a bad glow plug. At this point could I just purchase a different ECU and make sure the polarity is consistent with what I have doing it myself or just send the whole engine in?

Old 07-27-2020, 04:51 PM
stegl

The easiest way to check the ECU and glow plug wire to see if all is ok is to do a glow test and the plug should glow as if you had a glow
plug driver attached.; .take the glow plug out of the turbine and put the threaded portion onto the turbine body to ground it.
Too much propane will also cause the ignited propane to go out ; doesn't take much .
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 PM
andrewjet

Well after getting my engine back from Turbine Solution it looks like I had a faulty ECU which now it's been replaced with the Xicoy version as well as a firmware upgrade. She now runs fantastic! I was able to get her flying this past weekend for Saturday and Sunday.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:51 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

After few years brake flying this one, TX to loosing a great flying facility, I gave it a test run to start flying it again and discovered the fuel lines in very poor state.
After replacement and few fail starts I have busted the fuel pump, running it too dry for too long with out proper prime up I normally do with the large suringe.
My fuel line is very long, one meter +! After bit of nightmare last few days finding few more fuel leaks, I went over and over to sort it out, fitted another pump fro PST600, all back in order, ready for more flying action.
(W44G check run)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:52 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wren Turbine Service

Hello all. I have a low time Wren 44. It does not need service but I was wondering if (after all of the permutations the Wren ownership has gone thru) there is any service available in the U.S. or Canada (i.e. North America).
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks ,
Ed
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 AM
stegl

Hi Ed
What sort of service did you need ? I had My Wren 44 TP sent off to Turbine Solutions in the UK for a bearing change as well as compressor wheel change.
(no crash damage) and I have to put them in the excellent category. They did up all the paperwork for me and prepaid shipping with DHL which was a big saving in itself as they have a commercial account
with them . One thing I would mention though is whenever sending out your turbine; always copy down the startup and running parameters that are in your ECU just in case you have to refer back
to them at any time later on.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:55 AM
edwarda10pilot

Hi Ed
What sort of service did you need ? I had My Wren 44 TP sent off to Turbine Solutions in the UK for a bearing change as well as compressor wheel change.
(no crash damage) and I have to put them in the excellent category. They did up all the paperwork for me and prepaid shipping with DHL which was a big saving in itself as they have a commercial account
with them . One thing I would mention though is whenever sending out your turbine; always copy down the startup and running parameters that are in your ECU just in case you have to refer back
to them at any time later on.
Hi, thank you for the reply. I don't have any particular issue with the engine, I was just asking. For bearing changes and other types of problems I have been using Andy at CRX Turbines in New York for the past 9 years and I am quite happy with his service. I was just asking in case I needed some part he could not acquire (like a combustion chamber, fuel ring, etc.). I have sent Turbine Solutions an e-mail asking for North America service shops but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks for the heads up on recording the ECU settings. Will do.

Anyway, thanks so much for the reply and i wish all the best.

Ed
Old 02-01-2021, 10:21 AM
stegl

Other than general repair like bearings ; I don't think there is anywhere that extra parts could be obtained as you suggested. I know that Turbine Solutions
is planning to keep the Wren 44 TP in production ( now called the 45i) except the anodized color of the case . Not sure of any internal changes as the power hot end
is the same for regular turbine as is the Turboprop. The only thing is, if sent to them they would know of any upgrades to internals plus you can get an
upgrade to an Xicoy ECU and newer pump or whatever.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Couple of recent runs with the old 'Wren44G' powered Depron delta, a noisy little foamy.
(Wren turbine foamy run)
(Wren44G powered foamy)

Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM
edwarda10pilot

Other than general repair like bearings ; I don't think there is anywhere that extra parts could be obtained as you suggested. I know that Turbine Solutions
is planning to keep the Wren 44 TP in production ( now called the 45i) except the anodized color of the case . Not sure of any internal changes as the power hot end
is the same for regular turbine as is the Turboprop. The only thing is, if sent to them they would know of any upgrades to internals plus you can get an
upgrade to an Xicoy ECU and newer pump or whatever.
I did contact Turbine Solutions and at this time they only perform service at their facility in the UK. Don't know if they plan on "authorizing" any service facilities in the US or Canada as I did not ask and they did not offer any info. Anyway, I just bought the Wren 44 from a guy on the "other site" for a turbine trainer I am going to use to get some of our EDF foamy club members some turbine stick time.

Anyway, thanks to those that replied to my question.

Ed