Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Spinner Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carbon Fiber Spinner Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 PM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Spinner Question

Hello

I just cut my first CF spinner. I have a 23-8 Mejzlik with a 3 1/2 Ultimate spinner. I followed the directions for cutting but the spinner backhas 6 screws and due to the thickness of the root of the propeller i was only able to keep enough CF to use 4 of the mounts. Basicly the area under the propeller is where the unused mounts are. Is this a problem or am I going to be ok? Any help is welcome.

Tom

Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 AM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Spinner Question

I am not sure I would trust it, the cones on he CF spinners are prety fragile. If it is a petes spinner, you can buy a replacement cone for about half price (yep experience). Be sure to locktite those darn bolts or they will be tossed out first flight (more experience, 2 out of six). If your prop is already drilled for your engine, you will likely have to redrill the mounting holes. Sounds like you have the same prop/sinner combo I did and the prop hole pattern had to be rotated 15-20 degrees to be able to use all six bolts. Just lay your prop on the backplate to find the correct position and drill the prop acordingly.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

If you got it from TBM they will cut the spinner cone for your prop for 15.00. that's a really good price just incase you goof
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

I have a CF spinner that I had to cut like yours... Only has 4 of the 6 screws... Probably have 100 flights on it and it is doing fine. Just loctite the screws and you will be fine.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
buildflycrash

send me your extra screws, I'm sure to loose one of mine. [:@]
Old 06-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I have the Bisson fiberglass spinners. The screws were always coming out. When I put the locktite it only served to remove some of the gel coating when taking the srews out.

I then put some water soluble canopy cement (silicone like in nature) on the threads and let the screw squished it down for a seal. They do not back out after that. When you take them off they are fighting the unthreading all the way but clean up ok for a re-seal.

I am fortuante that I have a supply store (nuts and bolts stuff) just down the street. They matched those pesky allen screws on the first try for a buck a dozen.

RDB
Old 12-11-2021, 11:48 PM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could we reinforce these spinners somehow to make them more structurally stable and more rigid? I have an 9cm diameter by 12cm long cf spinner for my 53cc
twin gas engine, I've already avoided the longitudinal joints of the segments that make the spinner, when cutting the prop holes and I've used a band of
epoxy on the interior edge of the holes I've cut to prevent spreading cracks. Also using blue locktite on the 6 button screws. But the idea that some had
their cf spinner explode runs through my head. I love the looks and really need the low weight but they are scary thin like 1mm and seem like an egg shell.