Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber spinner question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carbon Fiber spinner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:44 PM
BrianMorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber spinner question

Hi all,
I am considering a carbon fiber spinner as opposed to a Tru-Turn aluminum.
Any pro's or con's with either?
Also, I saw a website where they had carbon fiber spinners for around $50. I should have saved the page but didn't.Anyone know what site I am talking about?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 12:55 PM
BrianMorris

I found the site.His prices have gone up! :-(
www.petemodel.com
Would still appreciate any comments on either items
Old 05-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Scott H.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Just picked up a couple of Pete Model Spinners

Nice quality. Very light!

CF cone will not stand up to the abuse that an aluminum spinner will.

Don't even think about using an electric starter on a CF cone

Use a good mask when cutting out the prop slots. CF dust is very hard on the lungs.

Pierre at Pete Models was able to supply me with one back plate and two spinner cones at a reasonable cost. He was an easy person to deal with and kept me informed throughout the whole transaction.

I think he will also drill out the hub for your prop shaft and cut the spinner for the type of prop you are using for a small additional cost. Drop an email and ask him.

It takes a while to get the spinners as I think the mail is still picked up and delivered via horse in Quebec.

HTH,

Scott
Old 05-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I too have one of his spinners.. I got the 3" Carbon Fiber spinner with black anodized back plate for my Moki 180.

These spinners are light and SWEET!

If you compare the prices to those with ZN line then there not bad. He made the price go up due to the fact he is a one man operation. He is getting so many orders that its easier for him to make the prices go up and get only the serious customers and still make a profit.

He is a good guy and I will definately be getting more of his spinners.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:54 PM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could we reinforce these spinners somehow to make them more structurally stable and more rigid? Like a ply ring glued in the middle on the inside of the
cfspinner or some fiberglass cloth? I have an 9cm diameter by 12cm long cf spinner for my 53cc twin gas engine, I've already avoided the longitudinal joints
of the segments that make the spinner, when cutting the prop holes and I've used a band of epoxy on the interior edge of the holes I've cut to prevent
spreading cracks. Also using blue locktite on the 6 button screws. But the idea that some had their cf spinner explode runs through my head. I love the looks
and really need the low weight but they are scary thin like 1mm and seem like an egg shell.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

No need to worry or to modify. These work great and have proven safe as is. Of course anything will fail with the correct amount of abuse.
The following users liked this post:
jak_kkaall (12-12-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 AM
jak_kkaall

I've also put rubber washers under the six M2.5 screws, I've read here somewhere that this prevents the screws cracking the spinner and also hold them better. I-ve also mounted the cone on an electric engine of another plane and found out that it made the tail section to vibrate a little at full throttle so I've randomly applied an one inch square tape and saw the vibration diminish, than another square on top and another to find out that with three pieces the vibration were gone. Then I-ve applied new ones on the interior at the same spot with some glue under the first because the surface is not smoth inside the cone. Now it runs smooth and I've mounted it on the gas engine and we'll see. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 12-13-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:34 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I think I would have used nylon washers. I’ve run the Falcon CF spinners and have never had a balance issue. Yours may have a little wobble to it. Rotating it 180 degrees on the backplate might help.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 AM
jak_kkaall

Thanks, now it.s fine it doesn't wobble at all. I think it just had slightly more material to one side thus needed some tape on the other side, just like we need to balance props I think, only that we sand those. The rubber washers I've made myself from 1mm rubber sheet, they are quite squishy that's why I thought to make some from nylon but I don't know what nylon. I have a piece of about 1mm thick nylon from destroying a large protein can don't know if would work. In the end it's important to have something between the metal of the screws and the carbon fiber I quess.