Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

who makes the best tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:50 AM
auto2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who makes the best tools

hudy?
Is hudy a better screwdriver than snap-on?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:28 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: who makes the best tools

eh a screwdriver is a screwdriver. I've used everysort out there almost and never noticed any difference beside the grip.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
auto2

Oh and then a car is a car. right?
A pinto and a ferrari are the same because they both go VAROOM when you hit the gas.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Hipplewm

I'm kinda old school (Probably because of my age ) I like the Thorp wrenches (MIP owns the rights now) and Tamiya screwdrivers. Matco screwdrivers seem to be nice also. The Tamiya screwdrivers just fit the screws like they made the driver first and the screw second instead of the other way around. As far as the Thorps, they were out 10 years before anybody else even tried to copy them.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Henderson

I don't agree with the statement "a screwdriver is just a screwdriver". If you use your tools a lot you will wish for a set of Snap-Ons or some other top brand.

I learned the hard way when i bought all my cheapo tools at a local bargain store, and a year later found that all my Phillips screwdrivers, heavily used sockets like 10mm and 12mm, and my ratchets were all shot.

I generally can't afford top of the line tools but these days i at least try to buy Craftsman stuff so i can get free replacements.

If anyone wants to send me a free set of Snap-Ons, let me know.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:11 AM
r/c newbie

As someone who uses tools everyday for a living I can tell you a tool is NOT a tool.Snap-On,Matco,Mac are the three depending on different opinions and which tools your talking about.Personally at home if I dont have something from the big 3 then its usually S-K or if nothing else Craftsman.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
dg2b

When I was working for my dad as an automechanic while going through college, Snap-On were the only tools you can see laying around the shop.

Now (some years later), I use HUDY for my RCs and Craftsman for when I need to wrench on my real cars. I can't afford Snap-On but I can vouch that I would much rather have it over the Craftsman. I like the Macs too.

I have snapped a Craftsman rachet but never a Snap-On.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Billyman

For those of you who want Mac tools. Go buy Stanley. Same thing, same people, same assembly line, different color and name stamp. Yeah, they're crap.

I've torn up too many Snap-on tools to even bother with them anymore. And I've never met a Snap-on tool distributor that wasn't a butthole.

I have over $30,000 invested in my tools and although they do consist of some Snap-on, a few items that bare the Mac name, 98% of them are Matco.

I’ve never heard of HUDY.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
dg2b

Billyman - interesting posts concerning tools. My (late) dad was dealing with the Snap-On guy. I just borrowed his tools.

BTW, I am sure you have heard of HUDY tire truers and setup boards for RCs. If not, go here www.hudy.net
Old 11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Billyman

My R/C car/truck travels have always involved dirt so no, I've never actually heard of them until know. But thanks a bunch for the link. A guy here in town is contemplating reopening an indoor round track in which I will get involved if he does. I now have the HUDY website bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks again and sorry to hear about your father even if it was some years ago.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
dbow

Tools are like anything else and each individual has a certain taste and preference. If you buy cheap tools then you will probably get low service and short life out of them depending on what you use them for.

I use a set of Chapman MFG. tools which has a couple of drivers and about 20 or 30 bits of all sizes and shapes. This set will take care of just about any screw or Hex or whatever. I have had it for some years and have abused it over and over. While some of the finish has come off some of the commonly used bits, the form is like the day they were bought. I do also use craftsman tools and you cannot beat the lifetime warranty.

As for tools like Hudy and MIP and so forth, they are nothing but a RipOff, I have had several MIP wrenches which I paid about $14 each for, Hudy also. Cheap stuff and very, very overpriced. They look really cool in the box but they are not worth anywhere near the price you pay for em. You are paying for a HOBBY classified item which boils down to a specialized tool. There is nothing specialized about em, I can go to the hardware store and buy several for the cost of one Hudy tool.
I have tried I dont know how many sets of tools from Great planes, Hobbico etc, I always return to the basics, heck I can get a whole set of decent wrenches for the cost of a couple of Hudy tools.

Hudy has great setup fixtures and so forth, but specialized tools is just a ripoff, save your money and run down to the hardware store.

Dbow
Old 11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Henderson

I've heard of Hudy but have never owned any so i don't know how good they are, but i definitely agree that it doesn't pay to buy specialized "hobby" tools. The mark-up on stuff like that is way out of line whether it's good quality stuff or not.

Another thing about tools:

Never, ever loan them out. You forget who you loaned it too, he "forgets" that he borrowed it from you, you're putting the hardware store owner's kids through college as you keep buying replacement tools.