Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Christen Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 04:27 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Christen Eagle

A guy at work wants to sell me one of these. Any one have any info on these? How welll does it fly? What is a good engine to use? Also what about finishing the model? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 05-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Nice Giant Scale plane.

GREAT for IMAA events and wil always get attention. I have a personal fondness for the Eagles.

Depending on weight, it will fly nicely. A brison 3.2 or similar would be a nice engine. I had a bryon Pitts (same plane - different cowl and gear) with a G62. It was heavy with the G62 but still flew well.

It is NOT a precise aerobat. Lots of roll coupling and DEFINATLEY NOT 3D capable.

Landings are a dream - it really setles into a 3 point landing well. even deadsticks were easy - just be ready for A LOT Of DRAG!

Takeoffs can be tricky at first - don't jam the throttle and let it lift off smoothly. It needs a little rudder, but be careful of overcontroling.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:27 PM
F106A

Hi Craig,
I've been flying the PITTS, which is the same plane except the cowl and landing gear, for the last 10+ years and it's a great flying airplane. There's two types of finish, ECONOCOTE or F/G and resin. The f/g is more durable but adds a lot of weight. If you glass it, make sure you use EPOXY resin, not polyester. The polyester will melt the foam. Check the firewall, the kit came with 1/8" ply, which is OK under normal use, but if you hit hard on the nose it will crack, and it's very difficult to repair. If the plane is new, I would double it up with another piece of 1/8" ply. If it's fuel soaked, oh well.... Check your fuel tank installation and make sure there are no leaks. The gasoline will dissolve the foam, trust me, I know! Also make sure the aileron gaps are sealed, if not the roll will be sluggish. Mine is econocoted with a G-38 and flies fine. Every three years I re-apply the covering, looks good as new! I've seen guys glass it and use a G-62 but they come out heavy and the wing loading goes way up, which to me makes the plane less responsive. Just as a little bit of history, the Pitts was originally designed, and flown, with a 60 on prop gear reduction with a tuned pipe in the fuselage! Also, Byron was really ridiculed about an all foam airplane. If they only knew...
Good Luck,
Jon
Old 05-11-2002, 12:12 AM
stalspin-delete

Default Eagle

FWIW, I had one, flew it to distruction, flew very well with 3.2 and econocote, teaches you respect. also have new in the box for sale, no time to start,finish or fly.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:05 AM
F106A

Hi again,
Forgot, make sure you have a servo for each botton aileron. The torque tube set up is really bad.
Jon
Old 05-11-2002, 02:04 PM
jbrundt

Check this link out:

http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/christeneagle.htm

The see my PILOT Christen Eagle go to http://www.geocities.com/jbrundt/eagle.html

It flies much better than the Byron one but you'd have to scratch build it. I have plans for sale if you are interested.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10888_4543.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	7207  
Old 05-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

Originally posted by jbrundt
It flies much better than the Byron one but you'd have to scratch build it. I have plans for sale if you are interested.
Jeff,
How much for the plans? I have a Byron Eagle. I flew it, then crashed it, then rebuilt it with a new fuse. During the rebuild, I set the decalage of the wings to what Byron says they're supposed to be, BIG difference in the way the airplane flies.

Please email me directly about the Pilot plans at:
[email protected]

Daren