Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 01:35 PM
Knight4444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

As title says, accomplished pilot but never have jumped into gasoline aircraft. Just ordered a extreme flight 85 inch gamebird, powering it with a dle65cc motor. Rubbing 900oz torque savox brushless servos and a 10 channel spektrum reciever.

Question is this, hooking up the wiring and powering this plane. I'm gonna have a 2500mah life pack for my ignition on a remote switch. For my rx battery I'd like to run two separate packs as a redundancy. Planning on running (2) packs of 2s 2500mah lipo packs. Am I just plugging these two lipos into the rx? If it's 8.4 volts per rx pack then would I not have 16.8 volts total going into my reciever? Just confused on this as I was told to run 2 reciever packs. Just trying to keep my investment safe all while preventing my rx from going up in smoke.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:16 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

When you expect redundancy you should use power box for this type of model, with high torque servos it's not a good idea to run it via receiver! No idea what receiver you use, but some better ones are specially designed to handle two batteries, I use them but only 6V NMHi, so you would have to use voltage regulator unless it's designed for higher voltage. Check the specs.

Dual lipo power set up.

All servos running via Power box.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:24 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Reality is yes, you can plug both batteries into any open Rx port. It doesn't double the voltage, it's just a parallel connection into the servo/power bus. You're fine using 2500mah 2s LiPo's(x2) in this plane. That gives you 5000mah's onboard.... plenty for a plane that size...You don't need a power management system in anything that size.. unless you want to spend some money and say you have one...

For safety though, make sure you remove those LiPo's for charging... always. That's as safe as you can be for your investment... and.....

You should ditch that ignition pack and use a TechAero Ultra IBEC. Run straight through the Rx, and no additional pack to charge or fiddle with. Myself and many fliers use this device exclusively, in everything gas, all the way up to 200+cc engines. It's silly simple to install, cost $39 +shipping($5), order from their site and get it in 5 days. It has a nifty voltage regulator that's adjustable via a small jumper plug... adjusts in just a few seconds for optimal power to your ignition. It's a little bigger then a postage stamp, and weighs about as much as a quarter, and an LED indicator to know when it's armed and ready.

Consider by the time you buy an ignition battery, and a switch, you're into that as much as the TechAero IBEC..... and with the TA you don't have any battery to charge other then Rx batteries. The ignition itself just sips power, and since you've got 5000mah's onboard that plane take advantage and get rid of that ign battery. In my 60cc IMAC plane I have a single 4000mah battery, and use a TechAero IBEC and I have power for days. I also have the TA in my 100cc-200cc planes. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and we've been using them for years. It's one of the better modern innovations to come out in the last 10yrs.

Here's the site, have a read and study... Tech-Aero Designs - Ultra IBEC