Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Paint and Fiberglass resin!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Paint and Fiberglass resin!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint and Fiberglass resin!

Hello, all!!

I have an idea for my flight box that I would like to try! (I will disclose the idea later, with pictures, if it works!)

Anyway, for my idea I need to be able to put Polyester fiberglass resin over paint. does anyone know if there is a paint that fiberglass resin won't react with, or will the resin not attack any paint, as long as the paint has fully dried prior to the application of the resin! However, I would like to have a solid bond between the paint, and the Resin!

My idea might work with a Urethane varnish, or some sort of clear coat, but since it will be on my field box, it needs to be Fuel proof!

I am currently in the process of an experiment, where I have painted a scrap piece of wood with Behr Premium Plus, Exterior satin Enamel. When it's fully cured, I will coat it with the polyester resin, and see what happens! Has anyone else done something similar to this, and if so, what were your results?

Any ideas, hints, tips & etc would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Craig.

Last edited by SeaJay; 05-21-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM
carlgrover

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think I see what you're wanting to do. I would instead look at some sort of dry powder that you could use to tint the resin instead. The paint is going to flake off eventually from the wood and take the resin with it. You don't want that.

carl
Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Hello, all!!

I have an idea for my flight box that I would like to try! (I will disclose the idea later, with pictures, if it works!)

Anyway, for my idea I need to be able to put Polyester fiberglass resin over paint. does anyone know if there is a paint that fiberglass resin won't react with, or will the resin not attack any paint, as long as the paint has fully dried prior to the application of the resin! However, I would like to have a solid bond between the paint, and the Resin!

My idea might work with a Urethane varnish, or some sort of clear coat, but since it will be on my field box, it needs to be Fuel proof!

I am currently in the process of an experiment, where I have painted a scrap piece of wood with Behr Premium Plus, Exterior satin Enamel. When it's fully cured, I will coat it with the polyester resin, and see what happens! Has anyone else done something similar to this, and if so, what were your results?

Any ideas, hints, tips & etc would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Craig.
Very easy to use, goes over water based paints very well, fully fuel proof with the cross linker additive

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...opcoat-c29.htm

good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 03:51 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

If you use polyester resin, it doesnt matter whT kind of paint you use, the MEK hardener is going to react with the paint.

Why not just use an epoxy paint like klass kote?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You're making this a lot harder on yourself than it has to be. Polyester resin isn't a clear coat. It's not made to stick to a smooth surface like the color base you're talking about. It's made to soak into fiberglass or wood and stabilize it. Epoxy finishing resin would work for your application, but you'd still have the problem of the durability of your latex. A much better solution would be to seal, fill, and sand the wood then apply the WBPU linked above in the color you want. It will be quite durable and will look good.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:20 AM
epicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for Epic Doors which manufactures high-performance fiberglass entry doors. We evaluated several paint suppliers including TruCoat 623, Sherwin Williams Polane 2K Acrylic, and Aquasurtech D200.

We were looking for an environmentally friendly, single component water based paint that was super durable, had great adhesion and laid down smooth.

Based upon our evaluation we selected TruCoat 623. It was much more environmentally friendly than Polane 2K and is a single component and TruCoat.Us had better adhesion than D200 and was priced better.

I assume you can paint fiberglass resin as well as fiberglass is fiberglass.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:35 PM
GREG DOE

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Eight year old post! He's probably finished the project years ago!