Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 9503 switch warning setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 04:59 PM
testfly

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question JR 9503 switch warning setup

It has been years since I used my 9503 but I am putting it back in my flight lineup.
My question is how do I get to the menu where I can set where I want the switches to be at power ON and if they are not there I get the WARNINGS?

I have been looking through the manual and just don't find that information. I am sure I am just over looking it in my rush to find it.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:49 AM
AndyKunz

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you mistaking it for a Spektrum radio? We have that feature in all of them.

Andy
Old 05-11-2023, 08:17 AM
testfly

Default Video of the issue

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Are you mistaking it for a Spektrum radio? We have that feature in all of them.

Andy
For the last 15 years or so I have been using only the DX18 so you might have been correct.
However, I have two switch "WARNINGS" setup on the 9503 and when I turn "ON" the 9503 my throttle hold switch and the flight mode switch must be in the proper position or I get the "WARNING" and beeping!

Below is a short video of my 9503 showing the switch warnings in action.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:35 AM
AndyKunz

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll take a look when I get to the office on Monday. Maybe one of the guys there will remember how to do it.

I remember my old DX7 (7202) would show FLT. MODE and people thought it was "fault mode!"

Andy
Old 05-11-2023, 01:56 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have to take a look at my 9303 to confirm what I’m about to write, but I don’t believe that there is any menu on the 9303/9503 that allows you to set the warnings. The warnings that these transmitters show are preprogrammed. The 12X may have been the first JR transmitter that allows you to set the warnings.

Allan
Old 05-11-2023, 05:41 PM
testfly

I need to change the location of the "throttle hold" switch at power ON. It should be in the "HOLD" position but it has to be in "NORMAL" position for the warning to go off.
I guess I could just rotate the switch but I would think I could change this in the software.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:20 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by testfly
I need to change the location of the "throttle hold" switch at power ON. It should be in the "HOLD" position but it has to be in "NORMAL" position for the warning to go off.
I guess I could just rotate the switch but I would think I could change this in the software.
From what I remember, all switches have to be in the position that you desire when binding. Then, if there is a warning, it will warn you at power On if out of position. It’s like binding the gear switch in the wrong position. And the retracts cycle at power On, because it wasn’t bound with the gear switch down.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:45 AM
testfly

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
From what I remember, all switches have to be in the position that you desire when binding. Then, if there is a warning, it will warn you at power On if out of position. It’s like binding the gear switch in the wrong position. And the retracts cycle at power On, because it wasn’t bound with the gear switch down.
"HEY" you might be on to something. I do now recall something about that.

However, as it turns out I can not "BIND" unless the switch is in the down position which is in "NORMAL". Which is correct but I would like the radio to warn me that is where the switch it because I would like to power "ON" the radio with the switch set to "HOLD".
As it is now I have to turn on the transmitter and then flip to "HOLD" before powering up the RX. So in order to bind I have to power ON the radio and the only way it will come on is if I flip the switch to "NORMAL".

It has been many years since using my 9303 or the 9503. I still have both. The DX18 has me spoiled and I use it for everything.
I had the urge to start flying a 450 T-REX I put a scale Bell Jetranger fuselage on when I first got it like 18 years ago.
I sure do not want to reprogram that model to my DX18 so I dusted off the 9503.

Needless to say, I am still trying to figure out how I can change it so the radio has to be in "HOLD" when I first power it on.
Is that the way it should be or is that not the norm?

Old 05-12-2023, 04:09 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Good Friday evening,

I became lost when you went to “heli” lol. But it still peaked my interest. I went through the manual. I don’t know if this will help, because I haven’t flown heli, and don’t understand it.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:57 PM
testfly

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Good Friday evening,

I became lost when you went to “heli” lol. But it still peaked my interest. I went through the manual. I don’t know if this will help, because I haven’t flown heli, and don’t understand it.

Thanks Dan.

To be clear I have the switch setup and it is doing it's job as expected.
My issue is that I want to change the "WARNING" trigger.
Right now it gives me the "WARNING" when the switch is in the "HOLD" position.
I would rather it gave me the "WARNING" if I have that switch in the "NORMAL" position.
This way it is also acting as a "THROTTLE SAFETY" Meaning the motor will not start no matter where the throttle stick is when everything is powered up if the switch is in the "HOLD" position.
I always check the throttle stick is down before I power any receiver. I also check the GEAR switch as well just in case the model has retracts.

As far as I know the only real differences between the heli version and the acro version is the trainer switch type and it's location and one other switch is different as well as a few preprogrammed features.
I have the heli version in both the 9303 and the 9503. I had a 9303 in the acro version but sold it to a friend because I liked the switch type and setup on the heli versions. I did not like the trainer button at all. The momentary
lever switch is the only way to go IMO. It is not as hard on the finger if you train a lot.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:45 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the transmitter issues a warning when switched on and when the flight mode switch is not in the NORM position, you could use that switch position for the throttle kill instead of the HOLD function. You will have to set up a normal program mix of THR+ -> THRO. Set POSITION 1 rates to -100%. Set the select switch to NRM and the offset to -178.

Helicopter programming is not my strong suite but several drawbacks come to mind. You’ll have to use one of the STUNT flight modes for normal flight conditions and thus leaving you with only one STUNT mode unless you set up extra flight modes in the DeviceSel. It plays havoc with the flight mode names. It cuts in half the functionality of the REVO.MIX menu.

Allan