Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

flame out warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 10:15 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flame out warning

Just wondering, using an ix20 and a telemetry receiver, is there a way to set up a warning in case of a turbine flame out? This would be really helpful if there are two or more jets in the air and, say one passes you right as yours flames out and you can't hear it. Seems like it should be easy enough, right?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:08 AM
AndyKunz

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

If you're using one of the ECUs that reports telemetry, you can set up alarms on several things. Even on the DX radios we had alarms for things the ECU reports.

Go in and take a look at what alarms are offered.

Andy
Old 07-18-2023, 07:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 382 Likes on 309 Posts

What motor? You're likley to need a telemetry module or VSpeak module but as the other Andy said, it depends.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:26 AM
djmp69

Thanks guys, I knew it could be done. Not really sure what engine, I'm asking so I can gather info for a friend I've been trying to convince to upgrade his TX. For some reason he just refuses to upgrade, but after a few recent incidents, this just might convince him. The 9303 was and is still a really nice radio, but sometime ya just gotta embrace new tech when you step into a higher echelon.

Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2023, 11:36 AM
AndyKunz

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

A few years ago Craig Greening (one of our top pilots, flies everything well, ...) had a turbine that kept flaming out. He would dead stick and check the status on the box. It was inconclusive. At first I don't think he was looking at the telemetry, but once he did the answer was obvious.

The engine was starving for fuel. Turned out there was a leak in the fuel system somewhere, that wasn't detectable on the ground. Once in the air, I think it sucked a lot of bubbles in and that was all she wrote. By the time he'd land and get to the plane, the bubbles would be gone.

The telemetry told him exactly what was going on, in real time.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
djmp69 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 03:44 PM
djmp69

I started using telemetry a few years ago and am a firm believer in it. It recently helped me figure out why and even where in the field bounds I was getting holds, the most frame losses, etc. In the case of such a high performance aircraft like turbine, it's INVALUABLE, especially since it tells you, as Andy said, in real time.