Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024, 12:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 170 Likes on 142 Posts

...and part of Hitler's Atlantic Wall has fallen off a cliff!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...89261333204947
Old 09-22-2024, 12:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Default It all comes at once doesn't it?

1. My camera, a Sony DSC-HX60, broke down last month. Perhaps it's repairable,if not it'll be at least 200€ for a replacement. Living in such a rural area I don't even know where the nearest camera repair shop is located but the club's chairman wiil know. He's a camera buff. I've just sent him an email!

2. The stylus on the cartridge of my turtable failed. It's an Ortofon Quartet Red. A new one costs over 300€, I have the option of having it repaired for 150€ or buying an upgrade for twice the price or more. The nearest top end hi-fi shop is 266 miles away in Rennes. (428 kms.)

3. I am running out of glow fuel. True I have four gallons of straight which I bought in England before I removed here in 2015 but if I used that I would need to re-set all of my carburetters so I plan to buy 10 litres of 16% nitro fuel and add that to the straight fuel. That will cost me 86€ plus carriage.

4. I had just finished mowing my lawns yesterday when I had to get off the mower, a John Deere 125, to answer the phone. When I got back on the mower it refused to turn over. I've measured the battery voltage and it's sound. So there's obviously a fault with the starter motor or with the electrical feed to the starter. I was invited to a pizza party last night so didn't have the time to investigate but if it's not a simple repair it will mean a visit to Monsieur Barbaud's establishment where he will charge me the proverbial arm and a leg. I had to push the mower down the hill into the garage. Pushing it back up will not be so easy. There have been a number of thefts of John Deere mowers here recently including one belonging to one of my model aeeroplane clubmates.

5. My local authority tax bill is due next month so that's another 600€ up my jumper.

On top of all of this, I seem to be going down with a cold. I often get them at this time of the year when the seasons change.

The only good news is that owing to the vagueries of the calender I could get three or four pension payments next month. It's raining here and forecast to rain all day so I can't even go flying! I've got a few repairs I could be getting on with!

1€=£0.84 Sterling and $1.12 US.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-22-2024 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 12:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

A couple of pictures of our weekend 14th-15th September. It was cold and windy hence we are all wrapped up well. Of the seven Barons in the first picture three crashed during our little competition. I had to leave at 16.00 because I was organising an Open Mic Night later in the day. Note that Tiko just had to get into the act, photo bombing as usual!

For lunch we had melon as an entrée followed by pork chops and/or pork sausages and/or merguez sausages with pasta and peas, bread and cheese, choice of ice cream for desert and coffee. Wines to suit all tastes and pockets were also available.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-22-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2024, 03:18 PM
bisco

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i saw minnie mouse, things are looking up
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (09-22-2024)
Old Today, 03:30 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The next village to the one in which I live is called Lourdouiex St Michel. Three people from the village have written a book called "Ceux de 14-18" or "Those of 14-18," commemorating all of the 312 men who served in the French Army during the Great War. There is considerable information about each of these 312 men, their date of birth, their regiment, their occupation and the date of their deaths for example.

Of these 312 men, 57 died during the war or shortly afterwards. Each of these is accorded two pages in the book. On one page is a photocopy of his attestation papers and/or death certificate sometimes with a photograph of the man and on the other side details of where the man lived, who his parents were, his wife if married, his regiment, and details of his death, all arranged alphabetically according to surname.

Indeed the last man, Leon Wendling, was aguably not even a Frenchman having been born in the disputed territory of Alsace in 1883. Alsace was part of Germany between 1870 and 1918 and again between 1940 and 1945. He died in 1915 as a decorated sergeant leading a patrol. His occupation was given as a teacher of German!

I found the statistics interesting. The occupations of the fallen were: 25 farm workers, 16 builders, 7 craftsmen in various trades, 3 domestic servants, 2 teachers, 2 students, 1 professional soldier and an office worker.

The ranks of those who were killed amounted to; 3 officers including an "aspirant" for which no equivalent rank in the British Army exists, possibly an officer cadet, 4 sergeants, 3 corporals, 2 lance corporals, 44 privates and one man of "another status."

Most of them were infantrymen but there were also 4 engineers, 2 chasseurs, an elite infantry battalion, 2 medics, 1 artilleryman and 1 cavalryman.

16 died in 1914, a further 16 in 1915 and smaller numbers in subsequent years and they fell on battlefields ranging from Flanders Fields to the Dardenelles in Turkey.
I could go on but you get my drift. It was a very fine piece of well-researched work by Domenique Labbé Kohler, Stéphane Démazure and Jeanine Berducat.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; Today at 03:33 AM.
Old Today, 04:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 291 Likes on 249 Posts

Sounds like an interesting book David. Hats off to those who took the time to research and keep the memory of their sacrifices alive!