Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Bilge pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:55 AM
z00100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge pump

Is there such a thing as a bilge pump for model RC Boats?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Bilge pump

Yes, in some ways. Aeromarine R/C has some auto-bailers that don't actually pump water but draws it out through a simple version of a one-way valve.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Captain Ramius

The problem with autobailers (aptly named by some wags as autosinkers) is that they only work when the boat is moving and sometimes get debri stuck in them holding them open rendering them useless if you stall or stop moving. If you run a clutch and sit still , water will still come in stuffing tube and eventually sink boat if you don't move from time to time.

Check out what the guys with the battling warships use. some build what is known as a penny pump.As the name implies its built using a penny with impellers soldered onto it and put in a housing. driven with a small motor it will pump water with little weight penalty.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A windshield washer pump (or similar) would work ok though you would need a battery to power it. You could run a waterpump (same as everyone uses for clutched motors) though it will only pump water when the motor is running (uses motor pulse to drive pump). So far I have never had a problem with an autosinker/autobailer. There should never be debris in your boat (your carb will ingest it if there is).
Old 02-18-2006, 08:10 PM
BMAD01

I believe the Aeromarine, autobailers have a small screen on the end of them that is inside the hull. I use shortened, Octura, autobailers in 2 of my boats now. They have no screen in em to get clogged. I shorten them in a lathe, by 1/2". This way you only have about 1/16", sticking out of the rear of the transom, and about 1/16" on the inside. (with a press/fit) Enough to run a bead of epoxy on. (The one on the left is stock) Never had an issue yet! I love em, their GREAT! Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43213.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	410802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84543.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	410803  
Old 02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys, I'm thinking about ordering one for my boat but where should I mount it? At the bottom of the v? Ken.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:08 AM
z00100

WOW!! I really like your boat!!

I like the closed top-deck. Which brings me to a burning question:

Is your engine water cooled? I think that is a pre-requisite for having a closed top-deck right?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:17 AM
BMAD01

Ken, My buddy has a 50" Bonzi "V" hull with an autobailer mounted to the left of the strut, way down low. It's been working good for him too. z00100, do you have a name? LOL YES, The engine is water cooled, and the pipe is too. Look again at the first pic. The water pickup is on the rudder. From there it go'es into the cooling ring on the engine, out to the cooling ring on the header, out to the cooling ring on the pipe, then exits on the left side of the hull thru thems 2 lil silver thingies I made. (first pic) Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30807.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	411009  
Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
z00100

My real name would be hard to pronounce for 99.99% of the population. It is Zullfiqar.

However, call me Zee
Old 10-14-2024, 12:22 AM
Naeve

Yes, there are bilge pumps specifically designed for model RC boats. These miniature pumps are used to remove water that accumulates inside the hull, helping to keep the boat afloat and operational. Typically powered by a small electric motor, they can be activated manually or automatically, depending on the model. Many hobbyists incorporate these pumps into their RC boats to enhance their performance and durability, especially in rough water conditions or when undertaking longer runs. It's a great way to ensure your boat stays dry and performs at its best!