Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2024, 08:11 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat 1
As I look back through the post I can see the issue Jim is discussing, ...........
but being a part of the discussion along the way I'm quite proud of what was accomplished and we should all be. ....................
And so you should be proud. However, you use of the word "but" here has me fearing I may have been misunderstood.
I don't mean to directly, or indirectly imply anything towards you or other contributors. I gave up on reading the thread long before things began to develop to the point that two of the main parties were banned. Accordingly, I am not in a position to comment any more specifically than I already have.

............. little over 10 months left to go . I have so many ideas I want to get back to and try out..
Retirement?
Sounds good all the best for it.

In the meantime:
Are you able to assist me with linking me to the arduino sketch that compiles and works for the solenoid controller?
It appears that Raleighcopter is unavailable and I would like to keep this project moving forward.
I cannot get the sketch published on GitHub to compile.

Thanks for posting.

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 10-18-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2024, 03:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 382 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Unfortunately, I will not be able to contribute until life drastically changes. I am at home taking care of my wife 24/7 with her Alzheimers. Her needs are many and trump my needs. Sorry, Bert.
Prayers for both of you
Old 10-19-2024, 03:22 AM
Glowgeek

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, fellas. Great bunch here.
Old 10-19-2024, 07:20 AM
1967brutus

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

As I look back through the post I can see the issue Jim is discussing, but being a part of the discussion along the way I'm quite proud of what was accomplished and we should all be. A rag-tag international group came up with a pretty good system with lots of variability and applicability. It may not be the best document to follow along with but it was a process that really produced results... I know we all kind of hit a spot where we slowed down but we were very productive. My position change at work really effected my contribution but the counter on my phone tells me only a little over 10 months left to go . I have so many ideas I want to get back to and try out..
the bolded reminds me of the '80's show Battlestar Galactica intro... but it's true.

The underscored holds true for me as well...

But yes... this was an international effort, and we can absolutely be proud of what was achieved, learned and discovered.
Old 10-19-2024, 07:22 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
However, you use of the word "but" here has me fearing I may have been misunderstood.
I don't mean to directly, or indirectly imply anything towards you or other contributors.
No fear, I can only speak for myself, but I took it the way you intended it, no offense taken.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
No fear, I can only speak for myself, but I took it the way you intended it, no offense taken.
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
And so you should be proud. However, you use of the word "but" here has me fearing I may have been misunderstood.

In the meantime:
Are you able to assist me with linking me to the arduino sketch that compiles and works for the solenoid controller?
It appears that Raleighcopter is unavailable and I would like to keep this project moving forward.
I cannot get the sketch published on GitHub to compile.

Sorry Jim,

Like Bert - Its so hard to convey "intent" in text and I took absolutely no offence to your statement.

I will see what I can do in regards to a compiled Sketch... It will take a bit of work as I haven't done this in a while and have to search through my files and "re-engauge" my "computer" skills which are a weakness..

What board are you using and what Version of the "IDE" -

Chris
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
jorgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Burtus, apparently you make the Stihl valve assembly? Please can you supply a link? Also, and I've been trying to see what CDI unit everyone uses but there isn't much discussion about it? Have people experiment with different ones, or diy one. Many thanks in advance
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
1967brutus

Hi Jorgan, there's no link... You can contact me via PM (probably you need to make 6 more posts before you get PM privileges), and we can arrange from there..

The CDI most people use is RcExl, look for the ones with the 1/4"-32 sparkplug size.
Another good supplier is CH Ignitions if you are US based.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
jorgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much. I'll have to get onto posting something then I'm in the UK. It certainly very interesting in reading everything that is involved. What was getting me are the CDI units, not cheap, so trying to see if you can do it DIY. Wow I discovered I don't know much about my motors, What timing is involved in the ignition process, compression ratios, 2 and 4 stroke. So have been trying to do some research, so far it's all motor bike stuff that comes up, but I'm sure with a bit more research I'll find things on the hobby IC engines.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Sorry Jim,
Like Bert - Its so hard to convey "intent" in text and I took absolutely no offence to your statement.............
All good then!

I will see what I can do in regards to a compiled Sketch... ..................
Excellent! I greatly appreciate your offer. No hurry though; I just need to know that the project has not "stalled" so to speak.

What board are you using and what Version of the "IDE" -
Chris
I have the Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 board.
My arduino IDE is version 2.3.3

Edit:
When I try to verify the file my-mixture-controller.ino I receive this error notice:

"'SPortHub' does not name a type; did you mean 'SPort'?" (at line # 55).

This is below the line that Raleighcopter (the author) warns do no edit below this line.
I don't know what to do about this.

Thanks,
Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Yesterday at 01:36 PM.
Old Today, 11:40 AM
Raleighcopter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry for my absence. i've been extremely busy with work and life lately. i'll attempt to build the firmware for the controller as soon as i find some time, hopefully within a week or so.