Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Odd Problem from a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Z1K0B4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Problem from a newbie...

Ok, I got my first nitro car a couple days ago. Duratrax Super Street GP. Everything runs absolutely great but when i accelerate to 3/4 speed or so, the steering starts jittering back and forth. as you can imagine, it makes a car running 40+ a little hard to control. I wrecked it pretty bad this afternoon. once i got all the plastic superglued back together, i wet a slick floor and accelerated the car with just the tires spinning car staying in place. about 3/4 speed, the front wheels started turning back and forth. Hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:55 PM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Odd Problem from a newbie...

check your bateries and antenna are the batteries weak?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 PM
hairnutz

Is the steering servo actually moving back and forth, causing the wheels to move?

If so, its possible you are getting interferance at higher speeds. Ive not seent his before, but its the same concept as the servos twitching when you touch the glow starter to the engine, or when you touch your radio antennae to the engine.

Anyone else have any ideas?

If thats what it is, not really sure how to fix it. Are the wires running too close to the engine? Or are any wires bare (touching metal?)

Dunno..
Old 11-13-2003, 11:02 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

im guessing its viration, i have had this happen before with my gt and i found out my crystal in my reciever was loose. I would check that first, if it is I would tape it in with electrical tape.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Z1K0B4

Batteries are new. The steering servo is twitching.

Suggestions?

Anyone else had this type of problem?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 AM
KidDynomite

hey buddy! I had this problem earlier in my nitro season. If you try working your steering and throttle while the engine is off and nothing "glitches", then your electronics situation is just fine. Hairnutz and nitromann have the right ideas. But it could be a number of things.

Check these out.
_ make sure your antenna wire isn't touching any carbon or graphite.

_ make sure your reciever is well cushioned (this is a common culprit).
when the car gets to higher revs, vibrations cause frequency noise and
interfere with transmittions.

_ sometime if wires from the battery pack wrap around the
reciever, you get "power line" type energy interference.

_ another common thing is metal-to-metal interference. just like touching
you antenna to the engine head. It may even be a slightly loose screw
under the chasis. once vibes get strong enough it rubs. not good. check all
screws. it may be the thing you never expected.

_ if you have a header and exhust pipe touching under the coupling. metal-to-metal.

_ check to make sure your brake disk isnt shaking on a worn out brake clamp ...
(padding wore down to the metal)

_ dog bones. if you have dog bones, put tiny peices of fuel tubing or o-rings in
the outdrives and axels before placing the dog bones in them. make sure your
suspension system remains free. these will help cushion the bones from slamming
back and forth under high speeds. this helps especially when your bones have
a slight bend in them. bent wheels can throw off how smooth the axle spins too.
It could make the bones clatter due to misalignment.

_ check your exhust hanger wire. sometime this loosen up the grub screw when
bumped a lot.

Try this. Set your car on start box make sure your reciever is hanging on the side.
start your engine and while holding the throttle see if you get glitches. if so, move
your reciever around. sometime its placement causes glitching. if it's still glitching,
then you definitely have something shaking when revs are high.

good luck, bro!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Z1K0B4

thanks. i'll try those tomorrow. hopefully i can get it right because it's too much darn fun to not get to go fast!
Old 11-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Z1K0B4

ok, now i'm lost. i've checked all screws, reviecer is cushioned with double sided tape, wires aren't crossed or wrapped in any way, brake discs and all are fine. i can't figure out what the heck is going on. I ran it this weekend, leaned it up a little (finished with break-in) and it got a little better, not as much glitching. i didn't notice before but the throttle is also glitching when i get to the higher revs. i have been reading about the tuned pipes... could the sound frequency cause the glitches? any more suggestions? if needed, i'll record some video of it glitching if someone thinks it'll help figure it out. Thanks for all your help so far!
Old 11-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Rex2342

What radio are you using?Something in the area may be on the same frequency as you ?Double sided tape does not reduce vibration.I used a piece of foam to reduce the vibration and used a zip tie to hold the Rx in place.It definitely sounds like a Radio problem.The engine tuning and tuned pipe should have nothing to do with your problems.The only things it could are is to much vibration,radio interference,dead batteries,antenna touching metal,or faulty radio gear.Try changing your crystals to a different channel and change your batteries.