Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Another WM Chipmunk question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Another WM Chipmunk question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another WM Chipmunk question

This IS fun! Chinookpilot, you just gave us all a good reality-check!

As far as the nose-over problem with the SuperChippy, this is eaily cured. Given the landing gear placement it does however remain a small obstacle. A tip for those flying an SC off of grass: Just before/just as you touch down hold almost full up elevator. With a little finesse and practice you'll be able to grease it right in!

If you're interested in reducing nose-overs go to the Tips & Techniques forum and look back a little for the cure. If you like nose-overs and complaining about them, so be it.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:58 PM
RSchrock

Default Comments

Chinookpilot - I liked your comment. It's fun to keep it fun. And I NEVER nose over...

As for the Chippy - I mount most of my engines in the 8:00 position (120 degrees counterclockwise). My chippy has a YS91AC mounted this way. I like to use those round Dave Brown mounts as they are easy to "turn" around a centerpoint. On my 2-stroke planes, this 8:00 mount point allows me to mount a header and tuned pipe right between the main gear under the fues. With one of those angled silocone exhaust deflectors, it also keeps most of the oil off the plane - cleanups are a breeze.

I have some pictures if your interested.

Something I did with my WM Chipmonk that is somewhat controversial is I replaced the under the wing retracts with fixed gear mounted under the fuse. Ground handling became much easier, nose-overs went away, and no more bending gear wires back.

Once after a less that perfect landing, I refueled and took off without checking the retractable gear. I put the mains up, but when it came time to land they wouldn't come down - the wheels were stuck in the wheel wells. So I killed the engine and belly landed her - breaking a prop and skinning up the cowl. Put the fixed gear under the fuse that evening. She isn't scale looking anymore, but I sure do like it that way.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

You know, I have a YS 45 mounted in my Balsa Nova at 8:00 so the pipe runs back between the LG.

After rebuilding the fuse a couple of times due to fuel/oil soaking I had made a mental not not to do that again.

Ahhh.. for the love of 4 strokes, that should'nt be a problem.

I did, however entertain the idea of smoking the 'Munk since I have this TME smoke pump laying around doing nothing....

Yup, I'll take a good ribbing anytime, anywhere. That's what friends do...."That won't fly that plane" Oh Yea? The heck it won't!!! Will not, will too!

Gotta love it!

Again thanks be to all,
Old 05-14-2002, 03:46 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Default Retracts are a pain.

I've had two WM Super Chipmunks and wound up putting a "dural" (I think thats right) landing gear on both of them. Just re-inforce the "breast-plate" with light ply. The retracts that WM supplys are "el-cheapo" mechanical types that bend easily on semi-hard landings. They wind up getting either jamed out or worst jamed in.

Also, I'll bet I know why a lot of you have problems with the Chipmunk nosing over. It's cause to trim it to level flight you have to trim-in a lot of "down" elevator!

Its a design flaw in the WM version of the SuperChipmunk. When all the control surfaces are trimmed flat the Munk climbs like a homesick angel

What I do to solve it is program a switch on my transmitter to flip in just a little down elevator. Right when I leave the runway I hit the switch you can see the nose drop down level.

I have to remember to flip it back before I land or OOPs , there goes another prop!
Old 05-14-2002, 03:51 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Would'nt a few degrees of downthrust fix that?

Perhaps?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:55 PM
ninefingers

I'm so smart, i knew someone was going to say that The answer is no. All that does is compound the "nosing over" on the runway problem. Beleive me its a design flaw. Down trim is the only solution.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:11 PM
jabowil-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Default retracts

Hello RSchrock and ninefinger I think I will reject the retracts and install fixed gear.

What size and type fixed gear did you use?

My Chipmunk also requires down trim.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:33 PM
ninefingers

Jabo,

I tried a lot of different things on the landing gears leaving them on the wings because I wanted to keep the scale look. At first I just set the mech retracts in place with wheel collers and took out the retract servo. They bent so much I couldnt straighten them out so I bought some of those "scale look" landing gears from EURO-KIT in Canada. The ones with the little shocks in them. They looked cool but the way they connected (with set screws) I couldnt keep them straight.

After a hard landing my Chipmunk would taxi back to the pit with a 15 degree adverse yaw it got many laughs!

I finally got tired of messing with landing gears and traded scale for practicality. I installed a DUBRO landing gear. I look at there web site, its #789.

Like I said you need to remove that balsa (the one thats at an angle behind the cowl) so you can get in there and re-inforce the area that you're going to bolt the gear to. I used 3/8 ply and epoxied it in. Make sure it goes all the way across to the sides of the plane as this is were your strength is.

Hey, its not scale but I'm spending more time flying than fiddling with landing gears!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:08 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Default w/m Chipmunk

Did you add any weight to the tail of yours? I used a TT .60 and had to add some weight to the back end to balance based on the manual. I fley it yesterday and there is not much left. It was tail heavy and it was a quick trip to the ground. The wing is all that survived.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-15-2002, 03:12 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Default csandt051196

I am sorry for your loss csandt051196. I've owned several Chippies, and they all have come out just a touch nose heavy up to a 4-stroke 91. The balance point shown on both the Goldberg and WM are about right, but maybe slightly conservative.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:24 PM
csandt051196

Default warhwk

You added no weight to your bird? How do you balance? I used my great planes balance machine even though it is not a machine. I have been using that thing for a while, but now I am questioning it.

Thanks for your time
Scott
Old 07-15-2002, 05:03 PM
ChinookPilot

Default Balancing the Chipmunk

Hey Scott,

Did you remember to invert the airplane when you put it on the balancer? Most low-winged planes have to be inverted when using a machine such as the GP balancer. Anyhow-- just a thought. If I hadn't done it--I wouldn't know about it--heh, heh!

Sam
Old 07-15-2002, 09:23 PM
rfarias

Hey guys,

I 'm just about to buy a WM Chipmunk this afternoon. Will a 4 stroke 91 Surpass II be enough for this plane??? And also, do any of you guys recommend the dave brown retracts einstead of the ones that come with the ARF kit??

Thxs,
Old 08-17-2002, 10:03 PM
csandt051196

Default WM Chipmunk S90

Two question for all of you.

1) When you balanced your plane upside down did you have to add any tail weight? Mine is saying I need to add 1 1/2 ounces to make it just a little nose heavy. I am using a TT .60 mounted inverted. Radio is where they suggest. I could move the radio around too, but 1 1/2 ounce is not that much weight.

2) Did you change the elevator push rod? The set up they provide looks a little flimsy to me.

Thanks for all your replys in advance.

Scott