Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

4*60 vs. Big Stick 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

4*60 vs. Big Stick 60

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:15 PM
velocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 vs. Big Stick 60

I am considering either a Great Planes Big Stick 60 ARF or the Sig 4*60 ARF as a second plane. Is one better than the other for this purpose???
Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 AM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Default RE: 4*60 vs. Big Stick 60

Big Stik 60 all the way... once you master the GP Stik then get a 4*60...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Brett_ty

I have had them both....4* does a flat spins better than the Big Stick, & thats about it (plus it's a tail dragger). Big Stick is a tough bird that does alot and is just a fun plane to have around and fly hard.....I guess if you told me to get rid of one I would get rid of the 4* and keep the Big Stick. Big stick, Ultra Stick...one of those two are a must for your hanger.
Brett
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

I built a 4*60 as my second plane. Even bashed it a bit by clipping one bay off each wing half, larger rudder, and less dihedral. Lands as slow or slower than my avistar. If youy leave the wing full size and all the dihedral in, you could probably use it as a trainer. That's probably stretching a bit, but really, if you fly a trainer aggressively it may be time to step up. No comment on the stick. I've never flown one and they're too ugly for my hangar, lol. BTW, my 61fx is barely enough power for my 4*. A 91fx would give it the vertical it needs but I'd need to use the throttle to keep speed down. Hope all that was useful.

Gare
Old 12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
ABORH

I have never flown a 4*, but I beat the @#$% out of my Ultra Stick 60. It flys with an OS 91 FS, a 14x6 prop, and it can do more than I am capable of. Should you get one, replace the LG mount with plywood and reinforce it with triangle stock. I also recommend moving the rudder and aileron servos to the rear of the plane. Finally, because I fly off of grass, I put larger wheels on it. It is a fun airplane. After I have crashed my latest creation I go back and fly the Stick!

Ultra stick 60
Kyosho Sukohi 40
Koysho Super Stearman 40
Kiwi 40
Hobbico Extra 60
GP SloPoke
GP Ryan "RIP"
Twinstar
GP Texan (in for repairs)
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either plane would be great for you as a second airplane. In the stock configuration and with .61 power, both planes are just slightly above a trainer. Both need mods to become more aerobatic. The 4* needs 1 rib removed from each side and a larger rudder. The Stick needs the wing built flat a la the Ultra Stick. I actually think that the Stick is a little more reponsive that the 4* in the stock configuration. Both could benefit from .91 power, 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

I have a Stick, actually a modified Joss Stick, but same size as the Big Stick 60, and also a bashed 4*60. Both are excellent flying planes. I would fly the Stick in any weather, rain or shine, windy or calm. I have a Magnum .91XLS in the 4* and a 1.08 in the Stick.

If you are thinking about an OS .91FX, search and read all the threads on that engine here on RCU.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 PM
velocity

Thank you all for your very helpfull input. I think I'll go for the Big Stick ARF with the ASP series 3 91 and then go to the modified 4*60 next. Always liked the looks of the 4* series. I also have a Venture 60 waiting in the wings, but wanted my flying skills to improve before I give that one a try.

Thanks Again for the great replies.

Dave