Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

how do you check if there is spark being created on the g26?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

how do you check if there is spark being created on the g26?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:11 PM
faisalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you check if there is spark being created on the g26?

this is my first experience with gas engines. I am tryin to start my zenoah g26 but it seems that it is not getting any spark. First of all i closed the choke switch and primed the engine, the fuel went to the carburetor fine. Then i turned the prop with my electric starter but the engine would not fire. I can see fuel going into the carburetor but it seems that there is no spark. chaned the spark plug but still the same probem. Somebody told me to take the spark plug out and touch it to the engine fins and rotate the prop and check if there is any spark. I did this but there was no spark.. Can anyone please tell me what might be the problem? I have also installed the ignition cut switch and im assuming that i have messed up the wiring or the switch is faulty. Is there any way of by passing the iginition switch so that i can start the engine? also what is the correct wiring as no wiring instruction came with the engine. I have the great planes ignition kill switch and it has 2 wires on it one is black and one is red. also there are 2 wires coming out of the engine. the black one is already connected to another wire on the engine. I soldered the red wire from the ignition kill switch to the red wire of the engine whereas i grounded the black wire of the ignition kill switch to the engine block. help will be appreciated. thnx
Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: how do you check if there is spark being created on the g26?

The black wire on the engine should not be connected to anything else on the engine, it's the kill switch wire...Plug the red wire from the spark coil to the red wire from the source coil, the one behind the cylinder. They are almost too short...Disconnect the black wire from anything it's connected to...Lay the spark plug on the cylinder and flip the prop, you should see a spark..If not check the top screw on the spark coil, it's the ground for the spark coil and might be loose...Make sure the red wires are tight in the connector....If this is right it WILL spark....I have not seen a bad factory ignition on a Zenoah in 17 years of working on them...
One wire from the kill switch should be connected to the black wire on the rear coil, the other wire from the kill switch goes to ground..When the kill switch is closed the black wire is grounded, stopping the engine....
If all else fails look at page 8 of the Owners Service Manual, How to stop the engine...
Old 12-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Very simple. . .remove the sparkplug form the engine, insert it into the plug boot, touch your tongue to the sparkplugs electrode while holding onto the engines casing, and spin the prop through as fast as you can.

If your hair curls, you are getting a spark, if not, you need to check things over.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:01 AM
faisalk

rcign1 when i got the engine from factory the red wire from the spark plug coil was plugged into the black wire and the red wire from the source coil was not connected to anything. Assuming this is right i connected the red wire from the source coil to the red wire on the kill switch. Now you want me to pull the black wire from engine and plug the red wire from source coil to the red wire of spark plug coil? and then plug the black wire from the engine to the kill switch? am i understanding it correctly?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:18 AM
ZM2000

Faisal

Show it to me this sunday on the field and I will fix it.

Rgds
ZM
Old 12-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Antique

Yes. it was wrong...The only reason for the black wire is to kill the engine...
Old 12-08-2003, 01:58 AM
faisalk

thnx rcign1. one last question. is it absolutely imperative to install the kill switch or i can just leave the black wire open and not connected to anything? zm 2000 what gas planes do you fly?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 AM
ZM2000

FAISAL YOU HAVE SEEN MY SUPER CUB FITTED WITH ZENOAH G-23, PREVIOUSLY RYOBI 31 CC.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 AM
faisalk

ok i will bring my cessna on sunday and may be you can fix the problem. Thnx
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Antique

The kill switch is mandatory in some RC clubs here, otherwise the black wire can be left loose...