Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extra Wing Tube

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra Wing Tube

I read a post saying that there are 2 different wing tubes available from Widlhare for the Extra.....one is OK and the other is less than OK. Is this true? How do we tell which wing tube we have? I received my Extra a week ago.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extra Wing Tube

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

I read a post saying that there are 2 different wing tubes available from Widlhare for the Extra.....one is OK and the other is less than OK. Is this true? How do we tell which wing tube we have? I received my Extra a week ago.
The one that is 39" long is the standard tube. It is fine for everything except wild 3d high g-force stuff. Be sure to keep it centered by putting a hose clamp around the tube in the fuse so it cant move side to side.

The HD one is 46" long and is considerably heavier. The extra length keeps it from moving side to side.

We have supplied both types of tubes in planes. The ones that were sold at the sale price probably do not have the longer tube, but they are available for $30.

Don't use the heavier tube if you don't need it, it's just there 'cause two guys bent the stock tube.

TF
Old 12-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Tom:
I'm putting my Extra together and have a couple more questions.
My plane came with the 46 inch tube and the wall thickness is .049".
I tried swapping in a carbon fiber tube, but the stock aluminum tube is undersized at 1.491" diameter. The carbon tube is 1.501". I assume the aluminum tube is metric size? Maybe you could source some carbon tubes to the odd size and offer them for sale? Or change future versions of this plane to a standard size tube. Or provide an .035" wall 6061-T6 tube as an option? How about 2024-T3 landing gear option....like your new Edge?

Overall, the ARF is going together very well. I like how much is prefab.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:04 AM
rctom

The replacement tube was centerless ground to an exact fit. This was necessary because planes from the first batch had sockets which varied a bit in size. They used an undersized pilot tube when they built some of them. This has been a major pain in the butt for me, too.

New planes will use an exact 1.500" sized socket. Meanwhile your sockets can be opened up to 1.500" by several means. One way is to use a drum sander on a piece of 1/4" all thread rod in a drill. This takes a while but gives good results.

A faster way that I have used with mixed results is to use a 1.5" wood bit, the kind of drill that is just a flat piece of steel with a shaft. You can run that through the holes and make them 1.500" in about 5 minutes. It will need to be on a long extension though, and this presents a problem.

If the bit is not held very securely it can begin to oscillate or vibrate in the hole, and if that happens it can tear the paper tube. So be careful and go slow.

Tom Fawcett
Old 12-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Abraxxas

Tom, can the wing tube be left "free floating" with the wings bolted on? or do I have to put a hose clamp around the middle?

Brian
Old 12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
rctom

If you have the HD wingtube that is 46" long it can be free floating. If you have the original 40" tube it needs to be secured.

TF
Old 12-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Abraxxas

Tom, I'm sorry... I saw the title of this thread and thought the "Extra Wingtube" meant the "other" wingtube that is available for the 28% Edge, meaning the upgraded one. The Edge is the plane I'm asking about with the floating tube, my upgrade tube is 36" and the original is 37 7/8".

Brian
Old 12-24-2003, 04:04 PM
rctom

It is a good idea to keep it centered. Maybe glue a balsa dowel into each end that will extend it's length to the end of the socket? Or use your ingenuity. A hose clamp around the tube inside the fuse works too.

TF