Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Which Li-po batteries to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Which Li-po batteries to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Hornet 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Li-po batteries to get?

Which Li-po batteries should I get? I'm ordering mine from Batteries America and I want to know what mAh batteries to get. 650, 1200, 1600, or 2200. Also how many cells 7.4 volt 2 cells, or 11.1 volt 3 cells?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Which Li-po batteries to get?

Helihobby.com has a table of micro choppers and recommended lipo battery packs. Look under batteries. Hope that helps.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:47 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on what application you will be using these for.

On the first configuration of my Piccolo, I had to use a 3 cell pack to lift the heavy Futaba gy240 HH gyro. After I got the non-hh pg03, which weight a ton less, I can get by with a 2 cell pack.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Hornet 51

what mAh are your 3 cell batteries, Vince?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:43 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3 cell packs are Kokam 1020mAh. They lifted my rather portly piccolo with more power and authority that I thought possible, both on the original 310 tuning motor and then later with the Astro 010 brushless motor.
I then moved to a much lighter package with a PG03 gyro, and a 2 cell pack of Thunderpower 730 (720?) batteries. Much lighter.
I am now experiemnting with the Moth conversion. I have cut the blades, put on the 10 tooth pinion instead of the 8, and I ran a 2 cell pack of 340mAh batteries. These are SHC (super high capacity) and are reported to handle up to 20C, or 6.8 amps. I have done no duration testing yet. My basement is my normal experiment room, but with the furniture re-arrangement that comes with putting a pine tree in a rather uncomfortable place for an Angel, my basement is more cluttered that usual. The family holiday gathering will have all 3 Piccolo pilots togehter with a large rec room available, so we will have more experiemntation then.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:01 PM
VULTCH

I'm using the 3cell Kokam 700mah on my Hummingbird. These are High output 6-8c. Will give a 20min flight with 370ho motor. A lot of concern has been given to premature tailmotor burnout using 11.1 volts. I soldered a 10mfd 16 volt capactor across the tailmotor to filter the DC. If you do this OBSERVE POLIARITY and use a min voltage of 16 volts. I started to order Li-po cells to make my own packs, but noticed a lot of them has leads which cannot be soldered, you may want to check this out before purchase. I ordered complete pack from Tower.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Lipoheli

Go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com.

Their cells work excellent and Mike is great to work with. High discharge LiPo's are the only way to fly.

The more LiPo cells in series, the higher the efficiency of brushless motors.

Rob
Old 12-24-2003, 12:49 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

do you have to get a special battery charger to charge lipo batts and if so how much for one?
Old 12-25-2003, 01:19 AM
VULTCH

Yes, you need a LiPO charger. Other type chargers may overcharge causing devistating results, such as fires. I have a Triton charger because it will charge almost any type of battery, There are other types of LiPo/Li-On chargers designed only for lithium batterys at lower prices. Mine was appx $169 with the thermal probe and 13 amp power supply.