Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:57 PM
StrangeRanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 question

A VERY good friend let me try his hummingbird ( i say very cuz you know what newbies are like w/ these things) for 2 battery packs and I was hooked. That very night I ordered a dragonfly from rc-expert or something like that. Soooo can't wait for the thing to arrive!! But, I just noticed something, it looks like it will arrive in Mode 1 config. Does that mean it will have it's throttle on the right hand stick?
I've been flying planes for a few years and don't know if I can train my brain to throttle up on the right. Is this something I can change? It looks like my little birdy should have a "GWS Dreamstarter 4Ch Transmitter" w/ it. Can someone explain how to mod this to a left hand throttle? Thank you, anxiously awaiting,
j
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Flying Weasle

Default RE: Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 question

Keith Buckner will chime in on this one. His was like that. He swaped it, he'll tall ya what to do. You have to de-solder and re-solder the wires to change the pot positions but, it's really pretty simple. It's just a matter of moving them from one side to the other.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Keith Buckner

Yeah..
Just swap the connections on the two pots and move the tensioner over to the new location for throttle control.
If you are the slightest bit electronically inclined, and can solder a decent weld, you should be able to see what is needed when you crack open the case.
It is not a real big deal. In fact, rc-expert will email you pics showing the before/after pics for the mod. Mine was a Futaba, so the pics did me little good.

If you are NOT familiar with soldering electronic connections, any local repair shop can do the job, but you can buy a new Mode 2 GWS transmitter (I've seen them sell less than $50 on Ebay), for what they will probably charge.

Good luck,
KB
Old 01-05-2004, 08:03 AM
glennT

You don't have to solder anything if the tx has control reverse buttons (usually 4 pretty small may be hidden somewhere). Just swap the two pots and then reverse the related two buttons. Reverse is needed because the throttle is upsidedown when relocated from right to left stick.