Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rear exhaust??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rear exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Wolfeman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear exhaust??

I'm moving up to mt third plane now, a Ryan STA ARF with a Saito 100 4-stroke. I would like to know if I could run the exhaust through the fuse and out the back. My instructor who has many years of experience has no problem with the idea, yet no experience with it either. I just thought it would be nice to keep my new beauty clean. I havent seen any planes done like this so I wonder why? Is heat an issue? Backpressure? Balance? Installatoin might be a PTA, but worth it. Any input?? Thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 11:08 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Rear exhaust??

Wolfeman - A lot of people have tried it and almost invariably it turns out to be major headaches. First, you're adding the weight of whatever system you use. Second, you have to route it past everything in the fuselage where it will constantly be in the way.

The only way to not have problems with over-heating and back-pressure is to use larger tubing which gets even more in the way. So yes, it's possible, but I don't think anyone who has ever done it has done it more than once.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:32 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: Wolfeman

I'm moving up to mt third plane now, a Ryan STA ARF with a Saito 100 4-stroke. I would like to know if I could run the exhaust through the fuse and out the back. My instructor who has many years of experience has no problem with the idea, yet no experience with it either. I just thought it would be nice to keep my new beauty clean. I havent seen any planes done like this so I wonder why? Is heat an issue? Backpressure? Balance? Installatoin might be a PTA, but worth it. Any input?? Thanks

I have run the exaust out the bottom of the cowl on an aerobat of mine (150 Laser engine) and find very little residue gettin on the plane . A clubmate has a bipe with the exhaust running down inside the fuz but, it is his own design aircraft and he needed the length to add sufficient silencing (we are only allowed 80db at our field) on a petrol engine. It is nice and quiet, flys perfectly but he really struggled with the exhaust installation!!

Keep it simple, less to go wrong, less headaches!!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:15 AM
RLamb

No experience with long exhaust but I just recently got the GP Ryan STA. I am using a Saito 1.20 in mine and use a standard muffler extension and went straight out the bottom of the cowl. Bottom and wheel pants get a bit oily but not too bad and with a rich running Saito, I am leaving a nice trail in the sky.

Flys great but ground handling is a bit rough for me (only my 2nd plane). Need to get the gear a bit wider then the instructions say as was suggested in another post.

Ron