Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Heavy scale electric project...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Heavy scale electric project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
swampd

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heavy scale electric project...

Hey, Folks!

I've worked with Pics and HBs and love them, but have been concentrating lately on my glow birds - Raptor 50 and Ergo 60 converted to Schweizer 300. However, due to recent encounters with mother earth with BOTH of these (Raptor more severe than Schweizer...), I'm considering a new project and was looking for some advice.

I've been thinking about mounting my Raptor mechanics into one of the Toys 'R Us Little Boy heli bodies. (There's a thread in the scale area on this.) But there were a couple of limiting factors there: the collective arm extends well into the cabin area; and what do I do with the muffler and exhaust? Well, with the recent inadvertent disassembly of my Raptor, I was thinking that perhaps now was as good a time as any to consider converting it to electric power.

I've seen a few threads here regarding eCCPM and electric conversion (fixes both problems stated above), but these threads were mostly addressing aggressive 3D style flying. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for motor, pinion, and battery combinations that would fly a rather heavy scale project in a scale manner - FFF and mild aerobatics for more than just a few minutes at a time.

I'm planning to try my own eCCPM setup, and was considering a Mega 22/30/4 motor on 6-7 LiPoly cells (6s4p 1500s) and 9-10 tooth pinion. Will this pull a 8-8.5 lb bird around the sky effectively?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Will be working on the eCCPM setup over the next couple of weeks and will need the motor setup shortly thereafter.

Thanks to all!

Marsh

Schweizer 300 converted Ergo 60 (Almost flying again!)
Raptor 30 V1, OS50 conversion, lots of mods (And in lots of pieces...)
CP Eco Piccolo, AstroFlight 010
FP Hummingbird, Orion Modified Elite
All controlled with Futaba 9CHP (Love it!)
Old 01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heavy scale electric project...

Try www.rcgroups.com Lots of knowledgable guys who have done similar projects hang out over there.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:02 PM
swampd

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Heavy scale electric project...

Thanks, Skyhawknut - will give them a try...