Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Glass Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:50 PM
debris trail
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Glass Air

I picked up a Byron Glass Air at the Perry Swap Meet a few months back & am starting to put the project back together...
I have a Quadra 52 (Thanks Pugsley) that I'm going to use...
I have some of the original documentation with it, but I don't see anything about control throws... If anyone can give me some idea of what kind of surface throws it needs that would be a help.

Also any flying tips would be a help.

I saw one at the Joe Nall & it looked pretty nice...
I expect that for a 20 some lb plane it flies pretty heavy...

Thanks for any info...

Erik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11844_8738.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7967  
Old 05-22-2002, 12:43 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Glassaire

I test flew one for a guy many years ago. It was a real handful landing it likes to fly fast all the time. Landings were about the hardest of any airplane I have flown it just couldn't be slowed down very comfortably. It also seemed to not have enough directional stability. I tink the combination of the big fuse and small vert fin was the problem. I think his was heavier than 20# i seem to remember like 25# but don't hold me to it.
Good luck and let me know how things turn out. I was glad to hand the TX back to the owner after the test flights. I think he sold it at a swap meet later.
Sparky
Old 05-22-2002, 03:19 PM
debris trail

Default Static Display

This is what I hear from most everyone... I think it's a great looking aircraft, and maybe it's best if I just leave it as a static display... I'm sure it would last a lot longer that way!
If I do ever fly it, I'll make sure that I've got plenty of room for a long approach & roll out (hopefully with out the usual debris trail I leave on landings!)
Old 05-24-2002, 06:31 PM
F106A

Default Byron Glass Air

Hi,
I agree with elmshoot, hard to fly and land. It wasn't one of Byron's better efforts.

Hey, as long as the major parts are still attached, it's a good landing!

Jon
Old 06-02-2002, 04:32 AM
Schwing RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Byron Glass Air

The Quadra 50 Glassair at the link below was no different. Very hot to handle. If we had kept it larger elevators would have been installed. Even at high throw rates the plane didn't seem to respond well. Noseovers on landing were inevitable.
http://members.tripod.com/~Planedealer/glassair4s.html
Old 06-02-2002, 12:45 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glassair

If you do fly it, make sure you engine will not flame out while flying - the resulting 'landing' is not very pretty. For whatever reason, the thing glides like a brick.

Dan
Old 06-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Byron Glass Air

Originally posted by debris trail
I picked up a Byron Glass Air at the Perry Swap Meet a few months back & am starting to put the project back together...
I have a Quadra 52 (Thanks Pugsley) that I'm going to use...
I have some of the original documentation with it, but I don't see anything about control throws... If anyone can give me some idea of what kind of surface throws it needs that would be a help.

Also any flying tips would be a help.

I saw one at the Joe Nall & it looked pretty nice...
I expect that for a 20 some lb plane it flies pretty heavy...

Thanks for any info...

Erik
This sure looks like my old Glasair. If so it was originally aquired from Ed King, "Original Builder" who had it set up with a OS300 twin. I then made a swap deal with Glenn Byrd who was then bought out by Les Powell "aka Tigercat". Les frequents the Perry swap meet... so it's a good quess this is my old bird.

After I purchased it from Ed I installed a Supertigre 3000 with an OS7D carb, set everything up and flew it. The resulting damage was from a flame out on the maiden flight. Let me tell you, this thing will glide like you won't believe. Those flaps are there for a reason, best to use them to slow this thing down. The horror stories related to the Glasair are in my opinion unfounded. Most crashes from the Glasair come from stick jerkers with too much elevator input. It will high speed snap with a sudden full elevator input. Landings should not be a problem if you make it pass the first couple of flights and learn the characteristics of it. The resulting damage was not the planes fault but more on me in poor engine selection and not expecting it to have the glide that it did.

I had started the repairs after purchasing a new cowl, wheel pants, etc; when I made the swap with Glenn. Should of kept it and put the Q-52 in it for it's rebirth.

For what it's worth, the wings on the Glasair are the same ones as used on Byron Pipe Dream.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:10 PM
cyclonejack2002

Default GlassAir

I would have to agree with Countryboy on this one...
This plane is fairly fast and easy to fly( almost borring) however
it does land a bit hot so USE the FLAPS thats what they are there for. Like any large aircraft it does take up a lot of space to fly it in.
The landing rollout is a bit long but it is far from imposible to land.
Hey yours looks like mine)
Have fun fly it don't worry about it.
Art
PS as far as the throughs go I'll post them for you later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13216_3049.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	7968  
Old 11-05-2002, 06:26 AM
dmercier

Default glasair

I currently own 9 Byron Glasair's. 5-RG's, 3-TD's and 1-FT (A modified Tricycle gear). I have had these planes for over 10 years and have over 1000 combined flights. All but one has FT-300 4-stroke engines. One TD has a G-62. All have smoke, loaded with extras and are very heavy. I think it is the most realistic scale aerobatic plane I have ever flown. It has a nasty reputation with RC fliers because you must fly it like an airplane not like a model.
A few examples;
1. If you try to take off before the plane is ready to fly it will drop the left wing and snap into the ground. (This happens very fast)
2. NEVER do a flat spin. I have seen very experienced RC fliers spin these planes into the ground from very high altitudes. They will come out but you must know exactly how to do it. (Inverted flat spins are fine and the plane will easily recover)
3. When landing use FULL flaps, keep a few clicks of throttle, keep your nose down,let the airplane land flat on its mains, cut the throttle and let the tail come down on its own. (Avoid fairing the plane as much as possible)
I have a videotape of my planes and would be glad to send you a copy. I would also suggest we talk before your first flight. I have flown my planes on paved 300' runways and 200' grass with no problems but it is important to understand this plane before your first flight. I have a 33% and a 40% Fiber Classics (TOC quality planes) but I still fell the Glasair flies better scale aerobatics.

Doug
[email protected]
Old 05-12-2003, 01:18 AM
searcher
My Feedback: (1)

Default Glasair CG???

Hello,

I have a Byron Glasair with retracting gear. I just finished it and I dont know where to set the CG. Can anybody give me any input?

I have installed a Saito 3.00 twin and it sounds SWEET!

Thankyou,
Ralph