Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Single Big Engine or Two Smaller ones.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Single Big Engine or Two Smaller ones.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Trinity_Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Big Engine or Two Smaller ones.

I plan on buying some engines for my 60" Expresscraft MTI Cat soon. Would it be wise to use a single Quickdraw 35cc Engine (7.8hp approx.) or two Zenoah 260's (approx 7.5(ish) for both)

Thanks for the Input
Old 01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
yamraptor2cool

Default RE: Single Big Engine or Two Smaller ones.

I would go with the quickdraw 35cc. My uncle has a 25cc quickdraw in his boat and it screams. Probably goes 45-50 mph. With two engines I think it would not be good bescause you would have to start both of them. Also you would have to tune them the same. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

By all means , if you've got the pocketbook for the QD , then geez , get that ! But , also note , that there is NOTHING like the sounds of twins running full bore .
If speed is the deciding factor , then again the QD wins hands down . But , if you are like me ( I have an Aeromarine Systems 60 inch cat with twin Zen's ) then , the thrill of the twins is uncomparable .
Also note .... although I do not know all the rules and such for the clubs ( IMPA , NAMBA , and such ) , I am pretty sure that when runnign twins , it puts you in a totally different class than the single QD .
Seems like a "boom" all of a sudden for doing twin cats ( [8D] right after I done mine ? [8D] hummmmm )
Anyway .... me , NOT being a racer or even remotely interested in racing , I would personally go with the twin setup ( extra weight , extra monies for hardware and setup CAN be "fun" , but hey , what the heck ------ isn't this what its all about anyway ? Fun and originality ?
Either way , your pockets shuld be pretty deep .... ( both ways will cost ya heavily )
Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Trinity_Racer

thanks for the imput. I'm still not sure about what I'll end up doing.

What hardware are you using for your set-up? (TerboBOB) (Pics?)

Thanks,
todd
Old 01-08-2004, 09:29 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

I was pondering the same question, i myself think i'll go with twins, just to see how they are! Now that i have that taken care of, what does everyone recommend for a good LARGE boat?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

If i had my druthers and was gonna run twins id go with the 231's.
with twins you dont need the torque od the 260's and the 231 is a higher revving engine and more than likely the same final hp as the 260. Yes QD's and J&g's are powerhouses but they can get to be maintanence hogs and will get real fussy if not cared for on a regular basis, these are pure race engines and must be watched over as such.............good luck