Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

onboard temp monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 05:43 PM
nitroguy123
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard temp monitor

On one of my nitro truck i recently installed on of those onbaord temp monitors. So i decided to take out my truck and run it on road to see how well it works. So run the truck doing speed runs up and down the street. I pull it back in at about a half a tank and check the thing. it reads 296. Thats a little higher then i expected since i usually took temp. of the engine previously with the drop of water on the head test. The water would stay on the head for 5-6 seconds the boil away. the Manuel says thats perfect tuning. The engine also runs really good. But I just hate to think how hot the engine would get when i run it harder. Now my question is can the water drip system be off by that much? This isnt my first nitro either. so can say that the end of the drip system for me.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:15 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: onboard temp monitor

I had a Venom on-board temp gauge and I though it was way off...... it gave high temps like your seeing, and tuning the engine to keep the temp down on the gauge made it run like dog !!, so then I bought a IR temp gun and it gives different readings, more like what they should be.

I dunno if the on-board was that inacurate... but I believe they pick up temp different to the IR gun...and when people or manufactuers quote temps they are usually quoting them from a IR gun, dunno whats up....but its different.

I got a IR gun and my temps and me are happy, but with the on-board it was just cause for frustration !

TM
Old 01-12-2004, 06:20 PM
nitroguy123
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: onboard temp monitor

yea i was thinking the same thing so i took it to the lhs to try out a ir gun and the were about 10 degrees off from each other. I was thinking about the temp gun but i like the feature where it records the highest temp for that run on the temp monitor. Overall i tuned the engine back to good temps and it runs just about the same as before.