Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tower Hobbies or RC Boyz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:19 PM
humpski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies or RC Boyz?

I want to order some parts off the internet but cant decide which one to order from. So?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:34 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies or RC Boyz?

What is the dilema?

Are you concerned about customer service issues or what is it that you are not sure about?

Tower is #1 in the hobby business, do a search on "tower" on the forum and you will won't need to ask anymore questions.

Dbow
Old 01-08-2004, 08:38 PM
humpski

Well I compared prices with the 2 and just about everything at RC Boyz is a little cheaper but im not sure about the shipping prices.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
kennebell50

Tower sucks. I ordered 3 O.S. LONG glow plugs and got 9 SHORT
Old 01-08-2004, 09:05 PM
dbow

Well I cannot say anything about RCboys as I have never even been to the website. I purchase all of my stuff at Tower or the local hobby shop.

Tower has average shipping charges, nothing to scream about but they do offer several options for shipment and they are very fast in processing your orders. You can actually check the status of the order right online. You can also track your package right online if you choose a shipping method that has tracking.

Now, if you join the Super Savers members club you get free Standard shipping (7.99) for orders over $150.00. There are some other benefits to it but the biggest is the free coupons they send out every other month.
Free items such as tools, covering irons, Voltage meters, Battery packs etc.
I think I have picked up at least a couple hundred dollars in free items in the last couple of years. Last month I got a free set of duratrax tools ($24) and a nice great planes aluminum spinner ($15) plus and adapter kit ($5).

All free and got free shipping on the order as well.

They do also run the specials and discounts on the main page of the website. You might see a thread where someone is hollering for a code on here now and again. But all you have to do is look on the main page or just call....No secret codes...Just call and ask.

Try Tower out and try out Rcboys also, then share your experiences.

Dbow
Old 01-08-2004, 09:15 PM
dbow

newtoheli:
Tower sucks. I ordered 3 O.S. LONG glow plugs and got 9 SHORT

What did they say when you called to complain?

Please share the experience.

I have about 50 or 60 orders with Tower over the past few years. I have had 2 problems out of those orders that I can remember.

One of my first orders I bought a Traxxas electric Stampede, it arrived in good order but after I took it out of the box I noticed that the tires where flat across the bottom from sitting in the box. Not just a little the rubber was deformed from sitting so long, well I called and told them about it and they rushed me a brand new set of tires out. No questions asked.

The second issue was more recent when I bought a Great planes Big Stick ARF, I found that one of the wings had a crack in the end. I could have glued it up and put a patch of momokote on it, but hey it was new. I called and said "the wing is cracked on the plane I just recieved" Customer service.."what is your customer number" Told em. Customer service " we are shipping you a new wing, send the old one back". Me "thanks". Hung up.
They even sent me a label to put on the box going back, paying for the shipment.

Dbow
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Allan Aguilar

Both Tower Hobbies and RCBoyz are good sources of RC parts. My last purchase with Tower was last 2001, while from RCBoyz was last monday. In terms of prices, RCBoyz sells it cheaper by a few cents to a dollar/s. Shipping cost of RCBoyz is far more cheaper than Tower, since I am from Canada, Tower have a flat rate of shipping cost.

It is still up to you to decide where you will buy your parts, but, if I were you, I'll go to RCBoyz.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:21 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

I cant say much for RCBOYZ because I havent ordered from them..But tower hobbies is great, I placed 2 orders and they had very fast shipping and both orders were correct to the T..
Old 01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
axa-racer

tower rocks man. i havent had any problems with them so far.and with tower its a gaurantee that u will get ur stuff and its safe....rc boyz is an e-b-a-y store and much people dont trust e-b-a-y.however, if u want stuff like transmissions and costy parts like that then rc boyz u would want to check..i plan to buy my 2 speed from there..because tower has it for $66 and rc boyz has it for $44 so who wouldnt?i also purchased my first kit from e-b-a-y to start with and its an hpi rs42 and i havnt had a bad experience with e-b-a-y so far...its all up to you man
Old 01-10-2004, 06:54 PM
otterball21

I order from both, I placed an order with tower and rcboyz yesterday

Rcboyz will be willing to add or adjust your order to what you got. I ordered a bunch of stuff off ebay. Shipping for 8 tubes of paint... adapter.... picture glue a body and some tires came out to 8 dollars something. That's REALLY good.
Rcboyz have their own website www.rcboyz.com

Tower hobbies, I needed some rims.. they were stubborn, and said they can't adjust an order. Their shipping is expensive. Just a ick for me. But they have a wider selection.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:24 PM
bcmbcmbcm

I have absolutely no experience with rc boys, but lots of experience with Tower:

*Huge selection
*Very good prices (maybe not the rock bottom, but close enough for me
*EZ website for ordering, and order tracking
*Very easy returns (you can see it on the web)
*super saver club allows free shipping on orders over 150.
*parts saver express cheap shipping $3.99 for small items
*frequent discounts (requires ad codes)
*friendly staff
*very quick order processing

-they wont change an order once it hits the warehouse(though i credit them with the quick order processing....)
-ad codes require a little keeping on top of, but they will give them to you if you ask
Old 01-12-2004, 06:28 PM
dbow

Not changing the order may be something new, I have never actually changed one but have inquired about it a couple of times.

They basically told me they would do it, but that it would take a lot longer for it to process and thus would get to me at a much later time. I decide both times not to change the order because I wanted my stuff by the end of the week.

It does make sense though that once it gets to a certain point there is no turning back.

Dbow