Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote trim sheets and windex

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote trim sheets and windex

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:34 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote trim sheets and windex

I am using sticky backed Monokote trim sheets for some trim on my model. Is it okay to put windex on the place where I want the trim so I can reposition it? Will the windex mess up the adhesive that is on the trim sheet?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 AM
msu68stang

Default RE: Monokote trim sheets and windex

No from what I've read the way to do trim is to use windex which clings the trim to the other monocote and then use trim solvent around the edges and NOT to use an iron on the trim.

Chris
Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: wyflyer

I am using sticky backed Monokote trim sheets for some trim on my model. Is it okay to put windex on the place where I want the trim so I can reposition it? Will the windex mess up the adhesive that is on the trim sheet?
Yes. No. If it is a powered model, be sure to seal the edges with some clear fuel proof paint of some sort. Trim sheet adhesive is not fuel proof.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:49 AM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

wyflyer

Yes you can use any glass cleaner but I find it evaporates too fast. I use tap water with a few drops of liquid dish soap or hair shampoo. When the trim is in place, squeegee the water out with a Kleenex. Paper towel will scratch the trim and a rag does not soak up the water well. You will have to be very careful to get all the water out or the trapped water will have to be released with a small straight pin. In the sun, the trapped water will heat and expand and ruin the appearance of the trimmed area. Good luck.

Paul
Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 AM
wyflyer

Thanks for the replies guys. I think that I will use the water and soap method.

Ryan