Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

E Z Mask

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 06:28 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Z Mask

I read an article describing how easy it is to mask using a liquid. Paint it on. cut out the pattern, paint, peal done! I promptly went and purchased a miniature bottle (1 oz) of the stuff.

Tried to brush it on the canopy. Lumps is all I got. I tried to spread out the lumps. Smaller lumps is what I got. I let it dry. It looked like there were lots of voids so I brushed some more of the nicely colored (blue/green ?) stuff. I let it dry overnight. Looked at it and decided there was no way I was going to paint using that mask. It still looked like it had a ton of voids.

Not a problem I said, just peel it off! Sure. It would not peel! Even with water as recommended. With water and my thumbnail and time I got it all off.[&o]

Did I get a bad bottle of mask? Did I do something wrong? Or does this stuff s--k?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: E Z Mask

First, did you wash the canopy well with a good degreaser such as TSP (tri-sodium phosphate)? Also, this stuff works best if you spray it. They say you can brush it, but you use a lot more of it that way, it's not as even and I had some problems with it too - even on a clean surface, such as it sheeting like there was oil or wax on the surface. Don't remember the brand I used, but I found spraying works a lot better.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use dishwashing liquid to clean the surface, and a camel hair brush. Never had any problem. One MUST get several coats on to make things thick enough to peel, or else!!!

Les
Old 01-20-2004, 12:30 PM
J_R

I had about the same experience you did. I can't imagine why anyone wants to go through all that.

I use automotive plastic pinstripe tape, available at an automotive paint store (maybe through a body shop too). The stuff comes in widths from 1/16" up. NOT automotive pinstripe tape that stays on the car, but the stuff to mask a stripe. It is made by 3m and is expensive. It goes around curves with no problems and completely seals to a smooth surface, like a canopy. It is also NOT the blue paper masking tape that home improvement stores sell.

Then, just brush on your trim paint and peel off the tape. A perfect line every time.

JR
Old 01-20-2004, 02:36 PM
lslewis

Your talking my language JR. Next time; and thanks for the information & advise.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Covetski

how about sanding afterwards, did that help? or you didn't try it?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 PM
lslewis

I didn't want to sand because it would ruin the canopy.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: J_R

I had about the same experience you did. I can't imagine why anyone wants to go through all that.

JR
JR - You are absolutely right. I was addressing using the masking film, not what he's actually masking. The only time I use film is when the pattern would be too difficult to mask using tape and when a frisket mask would be too flimsy to lay down flat. Mostly I use film for masking insignias or items like that. For regular trim colors and simple patterns, tape is the best way to go.

- Paul
Old 01-20-2004, 11:55 PM
J_R

Just as a point of interest. You can sand a canopy. As a matter of fact, it works quite well to remove scratches. The trick is to sand deep enough to remove the material down to the level of the bottom of the scratch. Then use progressively finer wet and dry paper until your using 1500 grit. Then go to fine, very fine, and polishing rubbing compounds. It will wind up as clear as new. Just don't go so deep that there is no strength left in the plastic. I usually start with 600 wet and dry, used wet. Don't panic after the 600. LOL Don't use normal rubbing compound, it's too abrasive.

The stuff you need to do this is all available at the automotive paint supplier. Lots of neat toys there. The best part is that most of the guys that work in one will talk to you all day, once they find out your not working on a car.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:00 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used it, primarily where it is very difficult to mask with tape, namely checkerboard patterns.

I remember it had to be stirred alot and warmed, and used a very wide brush. You have got to get a TON of it down, twice or 3 times what you think is enough, as it shrinks, and it will be much easier to peel off if it is very thick. Sounds like you just did not get enough on (I mean tons of it)
Old 01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
J_R

Paul

I like the Frisket mask too. It works really well for aligining film insignias too. AnnMarie Cross wrote a really neat article on it some time ago:
http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/trimgraphics.html

The best part about tape on the canopy is that you don't have to cover everything else, because the paint is on the inside and can be brushed and look perfect, even with brush strokes on the inside.

JR
Old 01-21-2004, 12:20 AM
CafeenMan

Another good masking material is called parafilm. I think it was first made for the dental industry. It's a wax film that is very pliable. I've never used it for anything but plastic models and don't even know if it comes in a size large enough to be useful for R/C, but it's nice stuff. Kind of sticky though and being pliable, it's prone to distorting so it may not work well in larger sizes anyway.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Stew99

I've used the Dively liquid mask with no problems. The instructions recommend spraying but I've had more success brushing it on. Usually on canopies I use some stuff made for masking RC car bodies. It looks like a big sheet of masking tape but is thinner than tape. It's more flexible than frisket and easily follows compound curves. It also trims easily with no bleed under the edges. Depending the situation and what I happen to have at hand, I use a variety of masking techniques including automotive tape, masking tape, electrical tape, aluminum foil, paper, plastic bags, sticky back shelf paper, frisket and liquid mask.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM
hnesitd1

For what it's worth, I've found that duct tape works well for masking. I use a steel ruler and razor to cut the width I want and then apply it to the desired paint line. It gives a nice edge with no bleed. I've had no luck with masking tape, at all - it allows bleeds.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:12 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

When painting Foamies, I decided to use some transfer tape (usually used for vinyl graphics). I stuck it down on a cutting mat, then traced the outline I wanted. It lifts easily from the cutting mat. Stick it down on the surface, paint, then peel it up.

Craig.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: CrashMeister

When painting Foamies, I decided to use some transfer tape (usually used for vinyl graphics). I stuck it down on a cutting mat, then traced the outline I wanted. It lifts easily from the cutting mat. Stick it down on the surface, paint, then peel it up.

Craig.
That transfer tape is great stuff. Maybe just slightly more tac than a post-it note. I was working as an airbrush artist for a company for a while that makes vinyl graphics for cars. Where do you buy your transfer sheets or rolls?