Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

iron on fabric?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

iron on fabric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:59 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron on fabric?

Coverite has a product called coverlite iron on fabric that requires balsarite adhesive to apply.Does anyone know if I should use balsarite fabric or film .If fabric could I use the film adhesive effectively?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:21 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: iron on fabric?

You must use balsarite with coverlite in order to get it to stick. Use according to the directions and you will do well. This stuff is light and strong compared to tissue. It won't be as strong as monocote, but I assume you are covering something that is expected to be light.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:37 PM
paulsen

Yes it's light it's a guillows 20"ws Dr1 triplane ,And Im sorry about the confusion when I said fabric .As I suspect you know coverlite is a fuel proof iron on tissue.Im still not sure whether to use balsarite fabric formula or the film fomula (also from balsarite).[8D]
Old 02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

My local sources (LHS oner wioth 30+ years experience) say it no longer makes a difference. Both are toluene and methylethylketone. Both will make coverlite stick to the wood with permanence.

I assume you are planning on flying the Fokker Dr1. Are you using IC, EP or Rubber? RC or free flight? How about some pics?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

I have cans of both types of Balsarite. The only difference I can tell between the 2 is thickness. The fabric version seems thicker than the film version.l
Old 02-17-2004, 01:14 AM
paulsen

Thank's for your infomative responce's,they have taken quite a load off my mind. To ed im using a .020 pee wee ,2 channel aileron & elevator,& the model & accesories are in the mail.But I will post some pic's and or e-mail you some,before I get a chance to destroy (FLY) it.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-20-2004, 02:06 PM
kdheath

Spot on. Guys who have trouble with Balsarite are using it too think. Either way, thin it to a nice paint consistency with Ironex and paint on two or three coats, sand lightly to knock any bumps down, and cover.
ORIGINAL: Ernest-T

I have cans of both types of Balsarite. The only difference I can tell between the 2 is thickness. The fabric version seems thicker than the film version.l