Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Feda Dragonfly speed controller/mixer problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Feda Dragonfly speed controller/mixer problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
MachFirst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feda Dragonfly speed controller/mixer problem

I got my first ever RC heli about a week ago, Feda Dragonfly off ebay.
It is none one of the ones with receiver, gyro and speed controller/mixer in one, they are all seperate.

Everything was going fine until today the heli started spinning on its own (transmitter switched on, throttle on minimum). I managed to stop it and disconnect the battery when I smelt something burning, I took the case off and noticed the speed controller was very hot and part of the plastic had melted on it, now everytime the battery is connected the heli just spins up on its own

Any ideas if it can be fixed? I don't want to spend £35 on a new one , so I've emailed the shop (rc-expert) to see if I can get a replacement
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23969.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	65679  
Old 10-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Supersix

Default RE: Feda Dragonfly speed controller/mixer problem

if you r good at solderring u can get the part called a mosfet from this link http://www.farnell.com/
search for this part 3576814
or tyr this page
http://international2.farnell.com/Se...equestid=31696

BS0604NS2 is rated at 5A instead of 4.2A, higher voltage, pin compatible, lower resistance (0.035 v 0.053) and cost $4.18AU each part #
Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 AM
MachFirst

Thanks for the reply,
have just received an E-mail from the company and they are sending me a new one, I have to send the old one back and don't really want to damage is at my soldering isn't too great
Old 10-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Supersix

half your luck when i asked about warranty i was told to take a long walk of a short peir
Old 11-16-2003, 11:55 AM
MachFirst

Got a new one in the post, heli works fine, but the red LED goes on when throttle is about 3/4 full, not sure why.

Also the plastic on the outside of this speed controller has started melting aswell aftrer only a few flights [:@]
Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM
flyingchaos

Its been a while since this got a reply, but I will add to the last comment anyway :-)

>>Got a new one in the post, heli works fine, but the red LED goes on when throttle is about 3/4 full, >>not sure why.

I believe this is in its design. I have a futaba speed controller that turns red when throttle is high (apporx 3/4). Its to tell you that you're drawing significant current. Its not that the esc is going to burn and die, but that its working hard.

From an EE point of view.

-Dan
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
greg_flick

hummingbird (dragonfly) has been flying well for a couple of weeks and after a bump the rear rotor is full on. It seems to be the speed controller. I disconnected the speed controler from the receiver and it still is full on. Of course when I disconect the speed controler from the rear rotor it stops. Can this be fixed or is the feda mixer speed controler fried?
Thanks for your help.
Greg