Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Things not to hit w/ your heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Things not to hit w/ your heli

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:51 AM
StrangeRanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things not to hit w/ your heli

This thread could also be called the "dumbest things you've done with your heli" thread. Ok, so I'm totally stoked last night...I've actually started doing controlled "hovers"!! I'd been waiting a week for new tail rotors to show up, got home last night and they were there. So I popped one on and got busy. The week's worth of sim practice while waiting really paid off. It was awesome. Then I got cocky. I've been practicing in my basement...typical unfinished basement with 2x4's, insulation, exposed light bulbs and junk around. Key words in that sentence were exposed light bulbs. Yup, got cocky, went to quickly and clipped the light bulb. SMASH!! DARKNESS!! with my heli still in the air!! I can now report that the rotor blades don't cut you, but are painful little mo-fos!! And that is the crash that now has me waiting for more parts
What stupid stuff have you done w/ your heli? Mine was stupid, but as I'm sure you are now too, I was actually laughing at my stupidity after the crash
j
ps: Any pointers on how to unglue tail booms and tail rotor housings would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
EricN

Default RE: Things not to hit w/ your heli

LMAO!!!!!!! I haven't got mine going yet. But your story is too Damn funny. Not that the damage is ,but getting to that point. Sounds like something that would happen to me![&:]
Old 01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

i am having a very hard time with my little heli... AND MAN can these things take quite a bit of punishment!!! i broke a simple little peice... but in my basement, i have only about 10' by 10' with a few little obsticles in there... i am still trying to get mine to hover properly, without MAJOR controls... it si still drifting all over.... but thursday a pro is coming over.... i made some training gear for it... i have had that dig into the carpet, and flip it right over.... i have hit a couch, fireplace, cut a grove in my roof.. hahahahaha... and it is still ticking!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:08 PM
StrangeRanger

Ya, once I got a flash light and calmed down a bit I was laughing my ass off. My wife thot I was retarded. She doesn't get most of my "toys" anyways
j
Old 02-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Megadood

Hiya,

Good plan for a thread i must say.

Anyway - I got my Aerohawk on Saturday and quickly got it up and running in my rather small lounge. Theres a force 6 gale blowing outside so i cant take it out there and test but the excitement was just too much - i HAD to fly it. So i charged the batteries bolted on the rotors etc and got it working. my battery lasted about 30 mins as i was just hovering around the carpet less than an inch from the floor which is the worst thing to do. Anyway i had the urge to see what full throttle was like and opened her up. Heli shoots up and hovers perfectly for about 3 seconds before it started going towards me a head level so i cut the power and down it went. Yes it does take a lot of punishment!

HOWEVER, after my hover i thought YES i will give up for now and recharge batteries as my wife wanted to watch the tv and let the cats back in the room - typical grumble. So i sat the heli down lowered throttle to zero and went over to pick it up. Just before i bent down to pick it up i made a beginners mistake and turned off my transmitter to save battery. Well the heli just opened up and flew straight up at full power. Wife is screaming, im trying to put transmitter back on but getting no response from it still. Things almost outta power so aftersmashing the lampshade and putting us in darkness its hovering around at 4ft in the air. I go to grab it and hurt my hand on rotors so end up hitting it out of the sky - punched it. Thing lands next to my wife who is STILL having a go at me about being stupid this and that nearly killing her.

Anyway she picks the unit up thats on the sofa right now and pints it nose down to hand it to me. Well i couldnt believe it, as soon as she moved it and gave the rotors room to move it started off again. Wife lets go and screams again and ive got a chopper heading towards me fast. Grabbed a cushion and it boucned off it - instantly dropping to the ground.

The amazing thing is that now - youd expect it to be pretty much broken. Well all that it suffered was chipped rotors, slashed body shell and one of the langing gear sides had snapped off.

So yer - wont be turning the transmitter off again soon !

Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Super-Hornet

So sorry but I have to HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Thanks you for sharing it.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
loopzilla

I am laughing my proverbial ***** off!!! I ordered an AeroHawk last week, and beating my FMS sim to death in the meantime.

I can't wait until I have stories to tell, but I think I will rent a padded room in the local insane asylum. You never know, the space may come in handy for multiple reasons...
Old 02-23-2004, 03:02 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man.. that is some funny stuff... anyway... lucky ur wife didn't make u chose over her and the helicopter.. hahha...
my story about to tell u is not that funny... matter of fact more dangerous... I broke my rotor head the other day, because i crash at the park while flying and a 6-10mph wind smack it down. So while waiting for the new part to come... i decide to try super clue to clue the rotor head together... after let it dry... i tested out... in my room..i throttle it about 1/2... and nothing happen.. seem to be working fine.. untill i put full throttle... ... putting my life on the line.. hahaha.. sundenly .. i hear a "WOOPPPPS" sound... then the helicopter shaking like a human got shock by electricity.. jumping on my bed... then i shut off throttle.. then I reallize there is only one more main blade.. hahahaa... the other one is GONE.... and i look arround my room... trying to find it on the floor... couldn't find it... then i realize there was some black thing stick against the dry wall.. OMG... it was the blade.. it SHOOT that fast and that hard... it went not to deep... but deep enough to keep the blade stick against it.. hahahaa... DON"T EVER USE SUPER CLUE.... on stuff like this.. hahaa...
I now make a aluminium tube connect the 2 blade together.... seem to work fine now...
Old 02-23-2004, 06:05 PM
techcoast

some of you people scare me!! [X(] But, I have to admit, I'm laughing on my end!!! The worst thing that happend to me was, I was flying in my work kitchen (I'm really the only one down on the first floor.) And one of the guys came from downstairs when he heard I was flying. Well, he just rushed into the kitchen while I was flying, I had no choice but to chop the throttle and pray he didn't walk any further. It fell about 5' and all I did was re-align the rotors and go flying again. ( I love my HB)

But, since then I put a little sign on the door says "Caution helicopter fyling in kitchen!" Most people get a kick out of it..
Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi

I too do not have anything funny... more of like experience than warn others not to follow my mistake.

Paddles:
At one time I was checking for alignment on my Main Rotor Head without the blades, I was looking directly at the paddles at around neck height. When I do a full throttle spin... suddenly there whoosh! and the chopper vibrate like hell. I power down and realize one of the paddle bar flown off and very far and luckily it was in opposite to my neck. After checking it, realise the screw track that screw the paddles worn off. I replace both paddles screw. So plz check for worn off screw before u fly/test.

Go Separate and Wiring:
The time I was setting up my separate component, I accidentally connect main motor to tail ICS and vice verses. I put in the battery and as u know.. ICS need to arm/initialize itself it can be use. I then do a left ruddle and then center it... guess what.. the whole copper just spin up like flying sourcer. I was stun at that time and it goes all the way up and going to hit my living room lamp...i thought to myself.. Oh No!! just like someone in this forum did before in hitting lamp! Luckily I didn't fasten the battery and the battery just thrown out of the chopper before it hit the lamp... The chopper just spiral down and crash onto the table. Luckily again no damage.
So If u do rewiring, plz check your wiring first before u connect the battery.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi all

Today I learn a new way of switching your living room light off. I was flying my Chopper and one time I lost control and the copper just go straight to the switch and flick it off using its rotor blades. Bet u all can't do that right? Hehehee
Old 02-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Megadood

Oh man the SAGA continues...

Got my aerohawk hovering nicely when the wife was out this time - again in the lounge. followed some instructions on these forums such as get it hovering then try tilt left right then tried out the rudder so it faced me.

Had a mental breakdown and forgot all controls were reversed so as it shyed forwards i put full forward to try and level it.. realised it was charging at me and pulled full back. Helicopter flew backrotors at 90 degree angle to the window and i thought oh no its going to smash the window. However as it got to the window my wifes bunch of flowers that i bought her for valentines day stopped it.

I thought it was great - heli didnt seem damaged all that happened was the floweres were shredded. So anyway being married you learn that you need to replace flowers if you kill them somehow. so i went to go get some - came back and she was home waiting for me.

"What have you done to my flowers!" etc.. had a bunch in my hand that id got on the cheap but she wouldnt have any of it.

Anyway went to try the helicopter and its doing something very weird since that accident. The left front join at the skid snapped so i need a new one of those but thats not the main problem. Now when i turn the aerohawk on the tail rotor is on low all the time even when the throttles are at 0%. Before the tail rotor spun up with the main blades. I have the trim full left to try and combat it but now when i take off i have to hold left rudder. On top of this the plane has started leaning backwards on take off and again full forward trim isnt enough to correct it. Dont know if i have broken the gyro or something ?!?

I will be taking it to the model shop this weekend for their verdict.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi Megadood

No need to bring it to model shop for verdict. I know the problem. While u out buying flowers, your wife secretly sabotage your Aerohawk!!!

Just kidding! Plz let us know the verdict. I'm curious.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
telemark07

Ok I have to add this ...things NOT to hit for me. I fly in the basement carpark of my condo here in singapore. the things not to hit which are ...............
1;. me ..I think that one is obvious but it still happends
2. a 2003 Ferrari which some guy stores downstairs ( he can only drive it for 40 day per year due to the special road tax on it) I have skidded the bird in ot it several times but never hit it with any force...and the small scrach on the side is not from me ....and you cant prove it anyway!! heheh
3. several other expensive european cars 2 BMW's and 3 Merceades.

now thats teaches you control of your heli espicialy when there is a bit of a wind going through the carpark .

cheers tele.

Ps I havent hit scrached the Ferrari ..I would dare came close to it ..they are about 1mill sgd for only 10 years and then you have to get rid of it!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Megadood

Hi Superhornet,

Yes i will let you know the verdict from the model shop. Somehow i get the feeling it might be expensive.

By the way - where do you guys fly your helicopters?

I try in my small garden but almost hit the fence

In a football pitch field - but its too windy

In my lounge - but it almost costs me a divorce

No where lets me borrow their rooms because they think i will damage something..

cheers

Megadood
Old 02-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi Megadood

Some LHS ppl don't mind look into those who has problem and give verdict free of charge. Maybe u need to find those.

I too encounter problems of finding places to fly.
I currently fly in my living room but no fun due to it is only 7feet x 7feet space. That is only when i push aside the sofa.

During the time I start learning to fly my chopper, I did went to my void deck (Singapore Housing Estate) but draws a few crowds and get bang up to the pilar and broke one of the landing skids.
I also tried an open field (very big) but once in a while there is a wind blows and also the grass are quite tall.

I did see some video taken by some video amerture where they played at the multi-storey carpark.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
rozzibandit

Wow that is funny, breaking the bulb then getting hit with your own heli LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHA great stuff. don't feel bad for saying this then. On my first heli was a nitro .30 size raptor. I just got it started and my retarded buddy comes walking by and hits my transmitter with his foot. Kicked my heli on full throttle while i was squatted next to it. When the clutch engaged and the blades spun only 3/4 away around before they hit my pointer finger on my hand trying to block my face from the blades. Well, it broke my damn Finger. Carefull guys if that thing got you in the eye i guarantee you you wouldnt be flying anything anymore. But glad your ok and sharred. Cause that made me laugh and i need it cause i cant get my heli "piccolo" going. Picco board plus but what and where do use and get crystals. I cant find them and reallty getting frustrated. Instructions say ikarus crystal but cant find them anywheres Help ......................please
Old 02-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Freddy418
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rozzibandit
Instructions say ikarus crystal but cant find them anywheres Help ......................please
check this site, the crystals you want are the berg ones at the top of the page.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/cry...2_products.htm
Old 02-29-2004, 01:14 AM
rozzibandit

appreciate the link andhelp Freddy just bouah ta couple. Thanks