Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help for clear ultracoat

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help for clear ultracoat

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
pshea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for clear ultracoat

Could someone help me please , What would be the best way to place some transparent Ultracoat over a white base without getting some air bubbles. I have used some solvent to place my decals but it does not give me a lot of time to work on the decals before it sticks to the surface.

Regards & thank you !!!!

Pete
Old 03-01-2004, 11:54 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Default RE: Help for clear ultracoat

You can try using the wet method, using some water and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. place over the area wet and position into place, squeegee out as much water as possible, wait about 24 hrs then iron it out with very low heat
Old 03-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

Here is another way, spray the area with Windex, squeegee the trim piece down carefully with a credit card removing all of the air, wait 24 hours and iron down with a low temperature setting of 150 degrees.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
smokingcrater

most windex, unless it says otherwise, contains ammonia, which does a really nice job of removing adhesive. I've done tinting for many car windows, the first method mentioned is the preferred method for tinting. drop or two of dawn dish washing soap in distilled water works great. (distilled it to avoid any mineral deposits being left behind) windex is remarkably effective at removing tint or decals from a car, so I doubt you would want it removing the adhesive from your ultracoat.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:06 PM
pshea

Thanks for the input, I will try to work with water & soap & let you know how I did.

Regards
Old 03-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Mr_Scale

You make a good point regarding the removal of adhesive with the alcohol in Windex. I am going to try the water with dish washing liquid method. Is that a drop or two in a small spray bottle? Or a drop or two in what size container? Why Dawn? Why not Ivory or Joy or some other brand?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM
msu68stang

I've used the windex method and it does work. That plane under my user id has the flag done in windex...dunno about it removing the glue but if it does it does a good job of replacing it. Stuff is stuck on there better than gum on a sidewalk on a hot summer day.

Chris
Old 03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Mr_Scale

Well fellas, I made a special trip to the grocery store yesterday evening and bought a bottle of Dawn and a gallon of distilled water to try that idea. I have been succesful with the Windex approach but just had to try the soap and water approach. When applying the trim sheet last night everything looked fine. I let it sit overnight and went in my shop this morning (heat and humidty controlled) and there the trim sheet lay as loose as it was before I started. [:@] So much for the soap and water idea. My wife will get the Dawn, the golden retriever will get the water.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never tried dish washing liquid, but i think with the Windex method you're not removing the adhesive, you're activating it. Applied with Windex and allowed to dry, the piece added is generally stuck down quite well, and a pass with an iron is all that's needed.
Dennis-
Old 03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Windex does remove the glue type adhesive, but it will not affect the heat activated adhesive laminated to the covering material. The heat activated adhesive is more like a polymer.