Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Best way to finish 1/2 balsa & 1/2 fiberglass fuse?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Best way to finish 1/2 balsa & 1/2 fiberglass fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:56 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to finish 1/2 balsa & 1/2 fiberglass fuse?

I'm going to build a plane that has a fiberglass canopy and turtledeck on top of a balsa "box". What is the best way to finish it? glass and paint or can it be covered?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 PM
ZeppelinIII

Default RE: Best way to finish 1/2 balsa & 1/2 fiberglass fuse?

My vote would be to cover (monokote, ultracoat, pick your favorite) the fuse and paint the fiberglass seperately, and then glue them together afterwards.....if that's not possible then my vote would be to glass fuse and paint entire fuse....my reasoning (opinion) is that paint looks great, and isn't too difficult, plus adding the glass can be pretty easy, and covering (monokote, etc.) fiberglass is a real b****
Old 03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
tph1

Would have to glue the fiberglass on before finishing, the bottom of the tank and servos would go in there. How do you mate the cloth on the balsa to the fiberglass piece?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:25 PM
ZeppelinIII

One other thought is to cover the balsa, then install everything you need inside, then glue glass pieces on, mask off edges, and hide rest of plane with newspaper then paint them

if you want to glass it there are tons of posts on here about it....the way I've been experimenting with is to use water based polyurethane (and there are argument about why water, or why not) to set down 0.5 oz. cloth. It'll only take a real light coat, too much will warp the balsa (a problem with the waterbased poly) I do this to add all of the pieces of glass i need, then i trim all the edges i have and go over the whole thing with another light coat, let that dry, then i go over it with a medium coat of poly mixed with corn starch (cheap easy filler), then I sand it, prime it, sand it again and then paint it....

Zep
Old 03-10-2004, 09:01 PM
tph1

thanks ZepIII, still don't know which way to go, may have to go to plan B, whatever that might turn out to be