Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Time for me to hunt for new tail motor.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Time for me to hunt for new tail motor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Super-Hornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for me to hunt for new tail motor.

Hi all

Last weekend (2 days ago), so many things happen to my chopper:

Bad News - One of my 2Cell Li-Poly damage. One cell balloon up when flying. After letting it cool down, it deflat back to normal. Recharged full and measured... Good Cell = 4.20V and Balloon one = 4.17V. No heat up or balloon up when charging. Fly again..the previously balloon cell balloon up again. Gave up. Go and purchase 2 new 3Cell Li-Poly (Kokam 1500mAH). Throw oneside the bad cell and transfer the good cell to another 2Cell Li-Poly i have to make another 3Cell Li-Poly.

Good New... I now have 3 sets of 3Cell Li-Poly 1500mAH. I also finally DIY a Li-Ion/Poly Charger using SHDesign (I purchase those electronics long time ago but don't have the mood to create it).

Bad News... First flight of 3Cell Li-Poly on my Dragonfly but only fly for about 1 minutes and my tail motor died (Tamiya Mini 4WD). Openning up the motor casing reviewed that the carbon brushes still in perfect conditions (Being using this motor since March 2, 2004) except one of the brush been completely bend backward by one of the commutator plate. That plate just melted the commutator bracket and almost fly off. Guess that this motor is good only when u running in 2Cell. Three Cells will kill it.

Well.. back to drawning board or lab to find alternative motor while checking LHS for any new stock for GWS motor or any motor that can be use for tail motor.

Super-Hornet
Old 03-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Xperimental

Default RE: Time for me to hunt for new tail motor.

Hehehehe,....

Guess we have the same fate... my 2nd stock tail motor just died yesterday... so i'm gonna have to purchase another one... 3 in 3 weeks... 1 each for every week... damn! I fly my DF about 2-3 times everyday... so is it just right or am i jinxed?
Hey superhornet, why haven't you gone DD (direct drive)? After having my 3rd tail motor ordered today, just got me thinking, would it be cheaper if i bought dd? Or is it my mixer that's giving the wrong orders to my tail?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi Xperimental

I'm being running DDrive for quite some time now. Since my stock motor died, I tried my first experimental Tamiya motor but failed. Then I go EDF... Being fly EDF50 for some time then I switch to Separate Avionic and the EDF motor dies (I think it is around the time I switch to my first Li-Poly). Then I switch to CN12-RLC as Direct Drive.... using for a fews weeks and replaced 2 CN12-RLC. LHS in my area out of stock on CN12-xxx so I try again Tamiya motor and now this time successfull! Using it since March 2, 2004 till I first go 3Cell Li-Poly (A few days ago) and wham! Tamiya Power Dash die.

Now back to hunting for motor. Later I going down to LHS to see whether CN12-xxx stock arrive or not.

Super-Hornet
Old 03-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Xperimental

How do you install DD on a FD? Are there upgrade kits out there? Would it be hard? Do you still need a gyro when using DD?
(yup... it's "question day"... hahaha... sorry for my incompetence...)
Old 03-15-2004, 01:38 AM
philpop

super hornet, have you still got that tamia motor? If you dont want it, i wouldn`t mind looking at it.
Phil
Old 03-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Xperimental

hey philpop how's your wooden blade mass production going?
Can i have some for trial?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:56 AM
philpop

Have you tried rewounding a tamia motor?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi Phil

If you interested to know how it damage it, I will take the picture and post it. So do u want to see the picture?

I still want that Tamiya motor for future project. As for rewounding the motor, well I once did that on a Plasma Dash motor.

Ok... Plasma Dash motor's commutator is the biggest I ever seen. Wounding end is not soldered but rather press clip by the commutator...which is good because no melded solder will occur. Its commutator bracket is NOT made of plastic but rather something very hard...I think it could be some type of ceramic? Which is good also because it won't melt.

I tried rewound it with a thinner wire in order to reduce the current drawn and also to increase its voltage rating. Well... one disadvantage is its armature is small in terms of total area as compare to CN12-RLC. That mean you can't wound too much wire. Too much it will hit the motor casing instead.

Again.. I only do rewounding for one time and that is I do not have any other thickness wire. So, I still need all those damage motor for future use. Sorry for that.

Xperimental, what do u mean by FD? Floppy Disk? or u mean Geared Drive? (Stock design is Geared Drive). I have no problem of going DD due to I already cut away the stock tail portion when I go EDF. My DD section is design by myself and home made.

Super-Hornet