Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help with Cutting Wheel Axel for Robart Strut

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help with Cutting Wheel Axel for Robart Strut

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:40 PM
BlueMax3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cutting Wheel Axel for Robart Strut

Hello,

I would appreciate any tips for how to cut a wheel axel to the proper length for a Robart strut. I want to cut off the excess so that the axel is flush with the strut. So far, my hack saw will not bite into the axel and I am not sure what else I could use. The axel seems to be made of a very hard material--aluminum or titanium perhaps? Any help is appreciated.

Travis
Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default RE: Help with Cutting Wheel Axel for Robart Strut

The best way I have found is to use a Dremel or other HIGH SPEED rotary tool, and a cut off wheel. Use the reinforced cut off wheels as they are less likely to shatter [:'(] at the speeds you need to cut the hard axles. Don't forget the safety glasses.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
BlueMax3

RAMFlyer,

Thanks for the tip. I have a dremel, but do not have a cutting attachment. I saw a cutting blade in the LHS that looks like it might work. Do you think the dremel cutting blade would do it? Thanks for the reminder on the safety glasses. That dremel cutting blade looks dangerous.

Travis
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A reinforced cut off wheel spinning between 8000-10000 rpm does a better job at cutting wheel axle than a cutting blade.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Sears has a diamon cut-off wheel set for the small rotary tools. Its inexpensive and has 2 wheels and a mandrel in the package. This little set wills ave you TONS of money on cut-off wheeels. I've done more cutting with ONE wheel than I normally get out of 4 packages of the fragile disks made by Dremel and Black & Decker and the wheel is still FULL SIZE. (can't see a difference from the unused one)

If you've ever messed with those disks that come in the dremel kits... you know how easy it is to snap the disk. These things will stall the dremel before they break. (you have to be really goofed up to be at an angle that will stall the dremel...)

I now keep one of these in my flight kit with a "Wizard" battery operated moto-tool, in adition to the one I have at my workbench for the 110 v AC power Dremel. (can grind a flat on a nosewheel strut at the field in seconds. )
Old 03-17-2004, 02:30 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Another option is to finda a machine shop and have them cut it for you. Just another option for you.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:38 AM
BlueMax3

Thanks for the tips. I will look into the cut off wheels before buying anything.

Travis