Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Super Cub:Sealing the fabric?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hanger 9 Super Cub:Sealing the fabric?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:20 PM
AutoMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Super Cub:Sealing the fabric?

I read in the latest RCM review of the Super Cub, that the fabric needs to be sealed with poly in order to resist dirt and grime. The author used some type of poly brushed on. I've been told that some types yellow and others dont but I cant remember which to use. This plane will be powered by gas and not glow so to you guys that are in the know, which do I use? Thanks, Mike
Old 03-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger 9 Super Cub:Sealing the fabric?

Think weight!
A sprayed layer of poly where the exhaust will be and no place else should be OK.
Fabric is heavier than film. Protection where it isn't needed adds useless weight, and makes repairs to iron-on fabric messy.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Gollywock

I didn't read the review, but the author was probably refering to Stits "Poly Brush" which is a fabric sealer for Stits Poly Fiber. Stits poly fiber 'lite' is widely used for a more scale like appearance. Jim
Old 03-11-2004, 04:31 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I wouldn't bother. There are lots of people flying this plane as it came out of the box with no problems.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:40 AM
AutoMike

Thanks so far guys...I have the plane on the way so I havent seen it firsthand yet. I didnt think about repairing it down the road[X(] It would be a mess to iron over a tear.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have the H9 Super Cub running a G26. I wish I had sealed mine! With the pitts mufler the underside is very dirty and difficult to get completely clean. Just the fact that the entire airframe is white invites dirt and grime to where you never thought it would be. Seal the whole darn airframe. Just shoot some clear nitrate dope over it to seal it up.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:08 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Hey... all that staining just looks scale... ever look a real well used Cub closeup? For more scale detail... take a small length of chain and beat the hell out of all leading edges and struts.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:13 AM
AutoMike

Well DMyer... I took the plane to the backyard and got the chain off my trailer, did just what ya said. I'm thinking now i missed something cause now the Cub looks like a flew into a 1/4 scale tree![X(] Theres not much left to fly but I dont think its a total loss, I'll just enter it into the static competition as a scale reck..I'll need to find some 3-veiws...LOL Sorry, I cant stop myself sometimes.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:28 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Supposed to use a length of 1/4 scale sized chain... not the snow chains from your F350. Sorry... I omitted that part!