Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I need some "How To" Help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I need some "How To" Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Gdolboy3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some "How To" Help

Where can I find some good info to learn how to take a balsa sheeted model to fiberglassed and painted. I'd like to know all the ins and outs of this process. Is there special techniques to applying the fiberglass, or is the same as how you fiberglass your center wing section on the trainer?? Is fiberglass what you use to get the model prepared for paint?? Is there something as lite wieght or lighter than iron covering?? What primer and paint is used?
I'd like to do a model that is totally sheeted and try my hand at airbrushing. Maybe with some multiple colors. A little masking maybe to get a nice finish. I know I need some practice, but where can I find a good book on this process to get me started, or understand whether I'm capable of tackling a project like this? Can it be explained here?? If so, can someone please let me in on the Secrets?? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-15-2004, 01:38 AM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I need some "How To" Help

The purpose of fiberglassing is to get a smooth finished surface for paint, nothing else. The process is very simple and has been covered here many times so do a search . Arts hobby website has some decent coverage of this subject. I suggest it for a serious war plane, but I would not recommend it for your sport scale everyday planes because repairs are not very easy. Everybody has their own favorite way of doing it so see what would make sense to you.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Although I do not yet own a copy, I would expect one of Harry Higlye's books to cover teh topic.. "There are no secrets" or "Coverings" I would bet..

And all Harry's books are great!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:56 AM
J_R

Here is a site with a link to just about every link related to modeling. Look under fiberglassing.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/
Old 03-17-2004, 11:54 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the composite forum and do a search on it. It has been covered there quite a bit too. Lots of great information.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
CafeenMan

This is an article from my site about how to apply glass cloth. It's not the only way, but it's what I've been doing for a long time and it worked for me from the first time I applied glass.

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...nish/index.htm

- Paul