Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Did I mess up with my engine swap?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Did I mess up with my engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:29 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I mess up with my engine swap?

I have been flying a Yellow Aircraft 540T .60 size with an MVVS .77 for some time now. I had the mini pipe and long header set up. It ran good with this set up and was turning a 14x6 at 9,300 to 9,700. My Edge weighed in at 7.5 lbs with this set up.

I was able to hover it but not much power left over to pull out fast if needed. I then tried a 15x4 and I did make a good difference and Igot more thrust but had problems tuning the engine consistently. I didn't not like the fact of having to rely on a pipe for the power and it was either off or on pipe at wrong times. When hovering it would be to much or to little due to the engine running up on pipe. Not a good idea for a smooth transition in small increments since it would burst up in speed.

A few weeks ago I pulled off the 77 and put it in a 40 size Sukhoi with the same 14x6 prop and It is perfect for the plane. My long header was to long for the smaller plane and hit the ground so I ordered the short header set up. The difference is from the long header is about 7-3/4'' compared to the short 5'' header. I knew right off I would have to re-tune the engine for the smaller length and would gain some rpm's. Just today I cranked up the .77 with the new short header on it for the first time. I did not touch the needle settings but wanted to see what it ran like by just bolting on. My rpm's went from the 9,000's to 11,100 rpm. I not only noticed the increase of rpm's but also the pipe kicked in at just under 1/4 throttle. The rest of the transition after kicking up on pipe was more smooth and not to touchy. Yet it does still have that instant acceleration from idle to WOT.

Just recently I bought a Saito 100 and been using a 14x8 on it on my Edge. It turns in the mid 9,000's but it is still brand new and very stiff. I will also try a 15x6 for more thrust and probably stick with that prop instead.

Now I am wondering if I actually gained anything by putting on the Saito or loosing out. Since the 77 is able to turn up much higher rpm than the saito. I am hoping with the torque from a 4 stroke of the Saito I can go a bit higher in props to where the MVVS 77 is probably maxed out and wont do any good to try larger props. The way it seems now it is like I have 2 equivalent engines just one is a 2 stroke and other is a 4 stroke and that they deliver the power different.

Did I mess up and waste my time or should I of went with a lager 4 stroke maybe? Anyone have any ideas on the Saito. Will it turn a 16x5 or 16x6 and not over load the engine? what would you guys prefer out of my engine selection. I am sure the Saito will run much better after broken in more also. It is still way stiff.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Default RE: Did I mess up with my engine swap?

RPM's is not a very good comparison point between these two engines. They are really two different engines and you can't really compare them.
If you want top end speed, that's what the MVVS will accel at. If you want torque and a good 3D engine, that's the Saito 100.
I had a Saito 100 a couple of years ago, and I'm trying to remember which prop I used, I think it was an APC 16x4. Give that a try.
The Saito 100 should be a great engine for that Yellow Aircraft 60 size Edge 540.

Jim
Old 03-14-2004, 09:52 AM
deputydog

Those props are large for a Saito 100. Consider the standard prop fro A Saito 180 is a 16x8.
Try a 15x4W APC. The hi end will push the limit but everything will be fine. You'll also get it to rocket out of the hover.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Hammbone

Yeah, I think that was what I used too. An APC 15x4W. It was a great prop for 3D with the Saito 100. I had instant acceleration.

Jim
Old 03-14-2004, 12:18 PM
FlooredCOBRA

OKay thanks, I was just curious and wanted some ideas on what works better.

I have one of those APC 15x4's and 15x6 will try it out today. I only flew the Edge once with the Saito and have not had a chance to try out different set ups yet. Today there is no wind so should be able to fly more than once.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:14 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I would use the 15x4 if you already have it. I am running a 16x4W APC on my funtana and it is great (except for the ground clearance problem. I have also used a Zinger 15x5 and I actually liked it better for my type of flying but the are only good for PERFECT landings. One little bobble on landing and there goes another $12 prop. The APC is much more durable.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Well I tried my 15x6 Zinger out Sunday. It pulled along good and seemed to have good vertical. I really didn't get a chance to fly long to see how it worked out and all. It has been so long since I flown my Edge I had to set up my trims and all and get used to it again.

After I got it trimmed out and all I did a few things messing around to see how it acted. I was trying out my throws also as well as the engine so was trying out more than one thing at once. I wanted to see how it hovered and it did pull vertical good but controls acted funny. I at that moment my engine died and had to land. I found that one of my pull-pull wires for my rudder broke and thats why it acted weird.

I was so aggravated since I only flew it for like 5 minutes if that. I didn't even get a chance to really see how it worked or try the 15x4 prop. So couldn't fly it anymore.

This is off the subject but I then flew my Sukhoi and it died in middle of flight. I found it had a hole in fuel tank and leaked all the fuel. So I couldn't fly that anymore.

I then flew my helicopter and forgot to set timer and lost track of time and ran it out of fuel. I did Auto rotate and on way down the antenna got caught in my main blades and made them come to a stop just was I was about to touch the ground. Naturally it fell then bounced and broke 2 linkages.

I broke everything I took with me...The whole week I was at work and wanting to fly to try out everything and waiting for the weekend. And then this....[:@] Not a good day.[:@]
Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Man that is bad. Ive always been told bring enough to fly all day. Next time take more planes.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
FlooredCOBRA

yeah just glad I didnt wreck on way home carrying my planes...lol

Weekend before that had a plane on table only to get blown by my buddy adjusting his on same table.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I had a bad day last week too. On my 1/3 scale sukhoi. First I had a bad landing that knocked the cowl off. then I took off again and had a brain fart and dumped it in from about 10 feet. Folded the landing gear back and broke the angle iron that it bolts too. By then I was very upset. I loaded it in the back of the truck. On the way home I just happend to look in my rearview mirror and saw the nose of the plane go up in the air. Luckily the landing gear caught the tilgate so i didnt fly completely out. And not a scratch on it. I fixed that though. When I was carrying it in the shop I hit the rudder on the workbench and punched a hole in it. That was a terrible day. Couldnt anything go my way. Im just glad it wasnt any worse than it was.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:34 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Oh I know how it is!

Just today I had my same Edge on porch sitting there. I was going to take out to crank the engine and adjust some. I walked out to car to grab my sunglasses real quick and when I came back I seen my dog run past my plane with her leash dangling behind her. I knew what was going to happen so tried to run up and stop her. She seen me coming did a circle and sped off away then her leash got caught on my rear gear as she started running downstairs. The plane was right behind her tumbling and flipping down the stairs as I sat there and watched. It landed on the tail naturally and broke off one of my elevators.

I think someone trying to tell me something. One of them was to try not to kill dog. I am so aggravated now that i need to do more repair on my Edge now. Nothing big just didn't really feel like doing repairs. All I want to do is fly the thing. I think I may sell it and go ahead and buy a new one and start from scratch.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Hammbone

Holy cow!

If you guys are really that accident prone, I'm surprised you are still alive.

Jim
Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Im generally not i just have my bad days.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:23 AM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I am having a bad day I hit the club and all my problems go away. I use a MK 14X8 on my saito 100 and love it It is a wide blade. A Gruppner or
Master Airscrew K series may work as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:14 AM
qweedqwag
My Feedback: (18)

Two words FOUR STROKE!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Well I normally don't have luck like this. I think this is the worst luck I ever had and most I had the entire time I been flying. Maybe I need to find my lucky rabbits foot again and put back on my radio box.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:31 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I have on a Zinger 15x6 now and its a pretty wide prop. I think it may be one I stay with but not sure yet. It seemed to pull it really good but really I didnt fly long enough to see. I will give it a shot again this weekend and see how it goes.

Oh also I am running Power Master 25% fuel. It runs just fine with that but wondering what you guys seem to like best. I was told this fuel has the needed oil content for the 4 strokes. Not sure since I never ran this fuel before.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 PM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

I have been using Power-Master 20-20. I add 2 oz of SIG koltz for extra protection. Runs fine in my two YS four strokes as well. It has a nice smoke pattern on my upward lines or wide open. You can run 15% in the Saito 100 try to keep 20% oil content in it if your on a fuel budget. You may lose a few RPM but not much. Make sure you have a good plug like a OS type F.[8D]