Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

"Improving" ZDZ choke

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Nikita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Improving" ZDZ choke

I finally got my ZDZ60 started. Runs good and I am happy about it. However, I am a little bit puzzled about the choke. The brass disk is cut off on one side and it produces two problems: 1. I seem to be unable to get fuel into the carb if the pump is dry; if I block the cutoff with my finger, though, the fuel starts flowing. 2. If I try starting the engine by the method in the instructions (keep flipping the prop with choke closed, until first firing attempt), I end up spitting a lot of fuel out of the carb - this may be a problem for my plane.

So, here is the question: do I have to have this cut-off choke disk? Is there any point in the cutoff? Can or should I replace it with a round disk?

Side question: does it make sense to wait for the first firing attempt with the choke closed? I've started it with choke open right away and this avoids the mess of the engine spitting fuel out of the carb...

Thanks to all who helped me before. Please help some more!

Nikita.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:35 PM
EJB

Default RE: "Improving" ZDZ choke

The traditonal "flip till it pops" with the ignition on,does not work on most ZDZ's,it tends to flood the engine...at least it doesn't work on either of my two 80 singles or 60.
Try this:-Flip the prop about 6-10 times with choke ON & ignition OFF.
-Flip prop another 6 times with with choke OFF & THROTTLE AT WIDE OPEN(I like to think that this atomizes the fuel-air mix),ignition still OFF.

-Set throttle at idle,ignition ON & flip.Engine should start in 1-3 flips.
Works for me EVERYTIME.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:37 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My zdz80 I choke it, give it half throttle, flip it till it pops, choke off, throttle to idle, fires right up.. Works on all my gas engines.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

EJB I don't know what you are doing wrong but on my three ZDZ engines choke until it pops choke off and a way she goes
Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

My ZDZ 40 Sportsman starts up just like John's does, no problems here.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:21 PM
bpolking

I have a ZDZ50. Full choke, half throttle, flip till it pops. Open choke, reduce throttle to idle. A few more flips and it's running.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Nikita

Thanks for the responses. Does anybody have any thoughts on modifying the choke disk so that it chokes the carb completely???
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
EJB

ORIGINAL: cygnet

EJB I don't know what you are doing wrong but on my three ZDZ engines choke until it pops choke off and a way she goes
I'm not doing anything "wrong".I've tried the choke till it pops method & like I said, it floods the engine.(Works on my Brisons but not the ZDZ's.)I then have turn off the ignition & clear it-wide open throttle,ignition off & about 10 flips,ignition on,then they start.
I've seen(here on RCU) other ZDZ owners use the same method as I use,so it's nothing unsual.

Nikita,I would not attemt to modify the choke as I really don't think it's needed & it might void the warranty.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Guys, you could make it easier on your arms.

Choke on, full throttle, but don't flip it. just bounce it back and forth on compression until you hear a different sound in the carb.

Choke off, throttle to idle, ignition on, one flip, and at the most two flips and it will start.

By bumping it on compression, your carb is still pumping.

Roger
Old 03-16-2004, 11:08 PM
vkmaynard
My Feedback: (1)

I have the exact same experience as EJB. If I flip my ZDZ50NG engine until it pops, it's flooded, every time. I've been trying to calculate how many flips it takes to prime the motor, like EJB.

Another thing I've noticed, never shut the engine off with the ignition switch. It is very hard to restart. If I kill the engine with the throttle, it starts with one flip, every time.

I can't wait to try Rodger's method.

Victor
Old 03-17-2004, 01:14 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: aerografixs

Guys, you could make it easier on your arms.

Choke on, full throttle, but don't flip it. just bounce it back and forth on compression until you hear a different sound in the carb.

Choke off, throttle to idle, ignition on, one flip, and at the most two flips and it will start.

By bumping it on compression, your carb is still pumping.

Roger

No no no... That's too simple
Old 03-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Diablo-RCU

OK, for you guys that have the engines that flood easily, put a servo on the choke. Then turn choke on, ignition on, engine at idle, flip until it pops. As soon as it pops take the choke off and it should stay running.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Eric.Henderson

Default RE: " ZDZ gas options

I have question on gasoline.

I am trying to find out if I can use one gas mixture, e.g one can, for all of the following motors?

ZDZ 80
DA-50
G-28 in a boat

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Diablo-RCU

Default RE: " ZDZ gas options

One gas for all. Make sure it has enough oil to satisfy all of the warranties. 32:1 synthetic works for me...3W and ZDZ.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:11 PM
EJB

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

OK, for you guys that have the engines that flood easily, put a servo on the choke....
What....spend MORE money?!
Actually it's more than a "pop",the engine RUNS for a second or two & then floods.
Anyway,after a gallon or two it's about only 5 flips,choke on & then 3-4 flips choke off,ignition on one or two flips it's running.No big deal.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Diablo-RCU

OK, use one of those crusty servos not worth $5...like a well used Futaba 148. I love it when those guys stick a JR 8411 on their choke, the same guys who run a $150 battery pack on their ignition....
Old 03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I use a $10 choke servo
Old 03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
vkmaynard

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

OK, for you guys that have the engines that flood easily, put a servo on the choke. Then turn choke on, ignition on, engine at idle, flip until it pops. As soon as it pops take the choke off and it should stay running.

It's not the servo that I've always had on the choke. It's the flip it until it pops that is the problem. Like I said, it WILL FLOOD if I flip it until it pops. Not all engines are the same.

Victor
Old 03-18-2004, 02:40 PM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

Not all engines are the same.
That's okay...just do a little research regarding your engine. Count the choked flips until your engine pops.

My cold, first start of the day, ZDZ-80 would pop (on average) after 7 flips choked - throttle just above idle.

So now I flip it 7 times choked - throttle just above idle with the ignition off. Then turn ignition on & open choke, and flip --->VROOOM!

After the first start of the day, if it's still warm: no choke, just flip. If it's cold, one or two choked with the ignition off. Then turn ignition on & open choke, and flip --->VROOOM!