Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Polycrylic and auto paint

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Polycrylic and auto paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polycrylic and auto paint

There has been some off and on conversation about using Minwax Polycrylic as a wood
sealer and base for auto paint. Brad Walker from Dallas wrote a nice treatise on the
subject, but it got lost in a hard drive failure at the Stuka Stunt Works server. Well, lo and
behold, Bob Kruegar saved it from electron oblivion, and here is the link. All you ever
needed to know about PC and PPG:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...umID9/145.html

Great reading about spray guns and other hardware and safety issues as well.

Kelvin
Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 AM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Polycrylic and auto paint

Excellent. Thanks for reposting.

I haven't read the whole article yet but one point I saw: he mentioned about putting the water/oil trap as close to the tank as possible.

I have read elsewhere (and this makes more sense to me) to put it as FAR from the tank (ie the tool end) as possible. The reason is that the air is still compressed at the tool end and so still contains some moisture (regardless as having passed through the filter previously). By having the trap at the end of the compression line, more stuff comes out of the air as it has to travel farther and you get the maximum extraction out of the line b4 it hits the gun.