Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Trouble with BalsaRite

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Trouble with BalsaRite

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Mugzeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with BalsaRite

Ok guys.
This is the second time i have ever tried to use "Balsarite"
I have covered at least 6 airplanes and have never used "Balsarite". They cover very smooth and mirror looking.

However i was reading a Well written document on Monokote covering procedures by a person named "Mark Kallio" at this site: http://home.earthlink.net/~waludwig/ And became convinced that i definently wanted use Balsarite for this project.
So i tried it again. Grrrrrrrrrr
Both time i have tried to use "Balsarite" i end up with an "Orange Peel" effect. Kinda like a Bad Paint Job on your Automobile.
The instructions on the Can claim the sanding isn't necessary.
Im thinking "BOLOGNA"!!!!!!!!
Anyone have any tips for this problem?
Is sanding of Balsarite almost a given regardless of the Mfg. Claims?
Thanks. MugZ

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer
than left-handed people.

(If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say you get an orange peel, are you using the Balsarite for film or are you using the balsarite for fabric??

For monokote thecan has white and green strips and the Balsarite is as thin as water. I have sanded after Balsarite just to get the surface smoothed out a little because of dust. I don't sand like I am preping for a paint job just a quick wipe down with the paper, 320 0r 400 wet dry.

Dru.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Dzlstunter

When using the fabric formula on a film covering job, I thin it with acetone until it brushes easilly and doesn't leave an uneven residue after gassing off. But if it does, sanding will work. It's sorta like dealing with a coat of clear dope on the framework before covering with silk or silkspan. You can't count on the iron melting any "nubbies" into the wood from the top of the film.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Mugzeee

I used the balsaRite "for Film Covering". I have a can of both.
Your right , the balsarite for Film is very thin.
I guess one could thin it a little more. But i think whats happening is that the wood grain is being raised a little.
I spent many hours, probably 5 or 6, sanding this project to perfection. Only to have BalsaRite un do the work i done. Oh well...looks like sanding is in order. Thanks for the replies guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Mugz
Old 05-03-2003, 01:30 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The best covering tool is still sandpaper. They used to claim that you could use Balsarite on oil soaked wood and still cover with Monokote. Bah humbug ! Whenever I use Balsarite I've found it necesary to sand before covering. It is usually better to use thinned nitrate dope. Sig has it in stock.