Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

prop tracking problem

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

prop tracking problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:33 AM
rossco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop tracking problem

Howdy,

If your prop is out of track how do you correct it? One more thing, can you balance a prop without having a fancy little doo-dad
Ive got one of those crapy ones that you hold between your fingers but I cant really get it to work. Does anyone have any ideas how to balance a prop without a shop bought tool.

Thanks

Rossco
Old 04-14-2004, 09:27 AM
J_R

Default RE: prop tracking problem

There are better balancers commercially available, but, you can use the one you have. Make supports from metal or plastic with a "v" to suppport the finger held one, so as to reduce the friction and allow it to turn freely.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my hand held balancer, I open my hobby vise wide enough to hold the device, then balance from there. The prop won't go all the way around, but you can balance it using this method.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: rossco
If your prop is out of track how do you correct it?
Rossco
Rossco, can you explain a little further?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:01 PM
CafeenMan

If the prop is out of track then you have to sand the hub. If the hole is drilled at an angle, then you'll probably never get it right and should discard it.

If what you mean is the prop is out of balance, then you can file the sharp edge off 2 single edge razor blade and glue them to a couple sticks. Glue the sticks into a base. Then put your finger balancer on the razor blades.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:36 PM
rossco

what i mean is SDR-Hammer that is when the prop is spinning it looks like there are 2 blades turning which is cuasing lots of vibration. I think i will just buy another prop.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Sometimes its a bent crankshaft instead of a bad prop... better see if you can get the use of a dial indicator and check the shaft. (some auto repair places will let you do it just because its something odd.... and it only takes 5 min.)
Old 04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Ed Smith

Drill out the back of the prop hole about 1/16 dia bigger than it is. Leave about 1/8 "Land" at the front of the hole. this will allow the prop to sit tight against the prop driver. If it is still out of track then the hub is out of square. Squaring a hub by hand can be a miserable task and hardly worth the effort.

Ed S
Old 04-17-2004, 07:49 AM
SDR-Hammer

I agree with FHHuber, sounds more like a bent shaft.

A quick easy way to tell if the shaft is bent is to get a long piece of brass tubing with an ID barely larger than the shaft. With the prop removed, slide the tubing over the shaft, remove the glow plug and turn the motor over slowly. The free end of the tube will exaggerate any misalignment of the shaft.