Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Sanding block trick

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Sanding block trick

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Keester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanding block trick

I always have a sanding block on my bench for all kinds of things, not just kit building. Generally its light grit and balsa and foam will plug the paper up fairly quickly. Especially if you sand any filler at all. By accident I stuck a piece of velcro [the hard side up] on my bench and my paper was filled with filler and wasnt sanding very well any more. I casually dragged my block across the velcro strip [kind of scratched it back and forth] and found it cleaned almost all of the filler out of the paper. In fact now that I do this a lot I hardly ever replace my sandpaper off my block for a long time. Its not a magic but it works well enough. Keeps your paper cleaner too, so you wont scratch a sheeted area with debris in your sandpaper.
Thats all I gotta say about that.
Keester
Old 04-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Killer_Matt
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Sanding block trick

Thanks for the tip I will have to try this one.

I have a similar sand paper de-clogging tip.

While building my mustang and dry sanding the primer with 3M !QUOT!No clog paper!QUOT!, things where going pretty good and i was cleaning the clogs with my fingernails (which where wearing down quickly) when I accidentally set the paper on a large block of foam which I use to set the wing on. This foam(hard square sponge) is similar to the stuff !QUOT!hard disks drives!QUOT! ar shipped with. As it turns out just a quick wipe and the sand paper is clean. Since it only take one small wipe to clean the paper you can do it often and prevent clogs all together.

Matt
Old 04-18-2004, 09:54 AM
J_R

The Velcro seems like a good idea, and I'll try it. I have always used a gum eraser to remove clogs on the paper, but, the Velcro might be quicker and easier.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 AM
john flynn

A quick and light going over with a wire brush will clean your clogged sandpaper. Kind regards, John.