How to start DA50 from behind ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:22 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to start DA50 from behind ?

Hi,

I heard that DA50 can be started from behind. Can somebody please publish the procedure? How difficult is it if compared with the normal "at the front of the engine" one?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 06:15 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How to start DA50 from behind ?

I believe they call that a " reach around "--
Old 04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol..I dont like the sound of that
Old 04-11-2004, 06:57 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

I haven't done it, but watched it done on a couple of videos. It's actually very easy and the only way you could ever possibly start it by yourself.

Just straddle the fuselage, set the transmitter down by your foot and flip the prop through just like you were in front. You do need to position the prop at 10 or 2 depending on your point of view.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:01 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

an if you loose your balance - you can also kiss your ---goodby
Old 04-11-2004, 11:41 PM
splais

hey, I didn't say I would do it. The guy asked so I told him. Does leave room for all kinds of horror stories [:-]
Old 04-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: splais

I haven't done it, but watched it done on a couple of videos. It's actually very easy and the only way you could ever possibly start it by yourself.

Just straddle the fuselage, set the transmitter down by your foot and flip the prop through just like you were in front. You do need to position the prop at 10 or 2 depending on your point of view.
Interesting, I was considering a DA50 and start my gas engines all the time by myself, with the plane secured. Why do you say it is the only way to start a DA50 by yourself ?????
Old 04-12-2004, 04:56 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

What does the DA-50 have to do with it. You can start any engine that way, if thats what you like to do. I',m not comfortable doing it that way. I like to do it from the front so that I know my hand is out of the prop arc when it get's pulled through.

Don M, this reply was not meant for you (wrong click)
Old 04-12-2004, 05:57 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Sorry but that is not "the only way you could ever possibly start it by yourself", and the procedure described is extremly dangerous.

I start my ZDZ 80, Brisons 3.2 and 4.2 by myself as does several at our field. We all use a Tail hold. Simple, SAFE and easy. drive it in the ground, set the tail of youre plane in it, start it up. Pull back on the tail, let the "U" flop down and take off. I will remind all before the replies start;

A tail hold is for starting an engine only. DO NOT RUN A BIG GASSER UP THINKING IT WILL HOLD IT !!! It will either dent the tail or pull the hold out of the ground and then---------[X(]
Old 04-12-2004, 08:50 AM
splais

Easy big boy, We are talking about two different things here. Using a tailhook or holddown, which is common sense, is done by many. I have one myself. But possibly, incorrectly, I assumed he was not talking about using a tail holddown. The method I described was when the guy was by himself with no mechancial assitance. the video is on www.downonthedeck.com. Go to the bottom of the page. It's a video titled "Early flights with my Edge". The hand flip start from behind is about halfway through the video. It is an awesome video showing the WH Edge.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

I believe they call that a " reach around "--
Dick, I believe they call that a "courtesy reach around", if I'm not mistaken...[X(]
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM
barryb-RCU

To each his own... I consider starting a big gasser with a tail hold down extremely dangerous. My DA 100 would rip the tail right off of some airplanes.

I'd strongly prefer to be behind the motor when starting it. Let it run away from me, not at me. I've heard lots of stories about hold downs breaking,
helpers not being ready when the plane accidentally started at full throttle, tails coming off, etc from starts in front of the airplane. One of the most
memorable was a guy sitting (OK, not very smart) in front of the airplane. It started at full throttle and the helper wasn't ready. He lost both his legs.

I once had hardware failure that caused a 100CC motor to start at full throttle. I was behind the airplane grasping the leading edge of the wing as
described above. No problems. I'm sure glad I wasn't depending on someone else to hold the plane back.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:31 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Talk about your horror stories. Da--rn, sitting down ? Both legs? You all got me thinking I just need to find someone else to start my engines for me.

My reply/thoughts on using a tail hook were in responce to " the only possable to start it by yourself."

There are many many engines that will rip the tail off a plane secured with a tail hook, that's the reason I stated not to run the thing up with it, just crank it.

Heck I have seen people go out and flip a big twin with no restrants what-so-ever. Just walk up to it and start flipping till it starts then move out of the way. In my book there not too bright, but it can and is done.
[:-]
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The only people I have seen do this are left handed people.
I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but I have tried it (right handed) and it is not easy!

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Hi,

I heard that DA50 can be started from behind. Can somebody please publish the procedure? How difficult is it if compared with the normal "at the front of the engine" one?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 02:46 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I'm left handed and start my engines (from the front with somebody restraining the plane) with my right hand. It's a lot easier to start with my right hand in a forehand type motion versus my left hand in a backhand type motion.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:44 AM
barryb-RCU

I'm right handed and start from behind with my right hand. Now that I think about it I turn my wrist over, but I've never noticed it to be an issue.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Must be some pretty WEAK tails or some VERY strong engines...We start our 32 hp race plane engines with me holding the tail all the time..I don't think anybody's 100 cc engine has the thrust of a 32 hp 289......
Old 04-18-2004, 07:20 AM
nonstoprc

Hi All,

After reading all the posts, I decide to use a 20 lb. dumbell with robes and easy-lease hooks (from Lowe's) to do the job. The attaching points are the landing gear. Because pit area in my club is concrete, I can not use screwdriver for holding.

I figure with the 20lb weight, the plane can not possiblly thrust forward that fast, even the throttle position is full open.

--Nonstoprc.

PS. I can get some extra workout in each field trip. :-)
Old 04-19-2004, 10:48 AM
barryb-RCU

If you attach to the landing gear, the plane may nose over when the engine starts. At full throttle things could get interesting.

Also keep in mind that it may only take 5-10 pounds of thrust to drag a 20 pound weight.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM
nonstoprc

I have tested the 20 lb dumbell method. Seems working. No nose over. There was no movement of the airplane observed.