Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Walbro SDC 80 carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 12:20 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro SDC 80 carb questions

Help! I have a new Walbro SDC 80 carb for my Sachs 5.8. When I have it mounted the gas inlet is directly facing the carb mount and there isn't any room to connect the fuel tube to. Do I have it mounted correctly? When I have the engine facing me the adjustment needles and the throttle are facing the front. I got the engine from another flier minus the carb so I don't have a reference. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

*rcnats*
Old 04-24-2004, 07:22 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Walbro SDC 80 carb questions

The choke shutter is in the rear of the carb. So Orientate the carb such that when you look at the carb you can see the choke shutter plainly. On the FRONT (next to the engine) of the Carb there may be a small hole in the body of the carb above the carb opening. That's the pulse hole which operates the fuel pump diaphragm. Hope this helps.... BobH.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The fuel inlet is just pressed in, you can turn in 360 degrees, put it any way it works best...
Old 04-24-2004, 10:34 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

THANKS!!! I have it mouted correctly and have rearranged the gas inlet. Now if I can just find a gasket to go between the carb and the mount . Any ideas? Thanks again.

*rcnats*
Old 04-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Antique

Brison, Sig, FPE, Air Hobbies, J&A, anyone else that sells a 5.8 Or make one from a business card...
Old 04-25-2004, 01:25 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would caution against turning the fuel inlet. True it is a pressed fit but once you turn it you break the seal and have a potential point for an air leak. Gastket material is available at a lot of places, any small engine repair shop can fix you up. Business cards work but the paper degrades after a while so if you can get gasket material that's the best solution.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Antique

There is no seal on the fuel fitting. It it was loose enough to leak it would fall out..I have been turning and pressing fuel fittings for 17 years, never had a problem with a leak...If you're worried about a leak pull it all the way out and put some Loctite on it......
Old 04-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

"Air Leak"??

Rcign1 is right on this one. .if gas is not seeping out, there is NO way that air is going to be sucked in, and the nipple itself is a press-tight fit, with no gasket or proprietary seal.